Lorin's last flight

Coming up on that big moment? It's time to talk with folks who have already flown your bipe type!
ha622

Lorin's last flight

Post by ha622 »

Hello
Lorin Wilkinson, founder of the Hatz Biplane Association and builder of Snooty Hatz has passed away. Below, you will find a copy of the mail sent out by his son, Don Wilkinson.

Juerg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please excuse my doing an "email blast" from my dad's address book. Many of you I do not know and some may not be personal friends but I wanted to get the word out about his funeral service. It will be held on Saturday, January 31st @ 11a. The location is:

Mills & Mills Funeral Home
5725 Littlerock Road SW
Tumwater, WA 98512
360-357-7743

Here is a link to map it, you can enter your address & it will provide a route & travel time:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5725+ ... e92b364e76

I do not monitor this email address very often, but have been very touched by the outpouring of love & condolences for my dad. It is amazing to me how many lives he has touched, even globally, with his generous nature & desire to be there for others. Pop's did say that, though greatly appreciated, he did not want an abundance of friends sending flowers for the service. And just like any airplane driver who lived in the left seat, he provided me with a number of checklists to follow after his passing. One of his regrets was that the funeral home did not serve alcohol as he wanted to provide an open bar to go along with the Irish wake that he wanted to be remembered for.

I can be reached on his house phone: 360-455-8683 or my cell phone: 253-670-0772. My email address is 2Netsend@Gmail.com It is quite possible that I have not reached everyone that would want to be notified, so if you could pass the word along it would be wonderful. When Pop's told me that he had made provisions for 40 at the reception for his service I responded that it would not even begin to cover the amount of friends that will want to attend. I suggested that he consider renting a larger reception hall, to which he laughed & said he didn't even think that all the snacks for 40 afterwards would get eaten so I should have a box with me to bring the rest home. It was part of his nature to be humble in ways like this as many of you will remember. But he embraced you all as only he could.

Thank you again for making him so rich as only dear friends can.

Regards,

Don
Juerg Mueller, Switzerland
Hatz SN-622
hreilly

Re: Lorin's last flight

Post by hreilly »

Very sad to hear. Lorin was a gentleman who loved the Hatz experience so much he started this association. Prayers for him and his family. Herb & Ro.
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I am very sad to hear this news, though we never met we do have the Hatz in common. I have followed him through the newsletter and in pictures of the Snooty Hatz on the web. He sounds like a great guy and I am very sad for your loss.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I remember joining the West Coast Hatz Club in the 80's when I first started my project. Lorin was kind enough to sent a hand written response, always ending with "A Tip of the 'Ol Topper" to anything I sent in and for re-newing my $10 membership.
Well, a "Tip of the Ol Topper" Lorin and thanks for the memories.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Haven't been on the forum for a while. Sad to see that Lorry passed. Neat, neat guy! I still owe him a beer for a set of axle spacer tubes he gave me many years ago. My next beer will be toasted to him. Or maybe I'll wait till Brodhead and join the Hatz Nutz in a group toast. I tip my topper to you, Lorin! Thanks for the memories. See you on final!
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Sorry to hear this. Lorin is a legend in the Hatz world.
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

We too are very sad to learn about Lorins last flight! He refreshed the beautiful and practical Hatz design in a very different and interesting way! Sorry we never had a chance to meet him on one of our Brodhead trips! Glad that Luke is taking care of Lorins Hatz!
Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Loren had some roots in Utah and reached out to provide some mentoring. His was one of the closest 20 years ago when I was getting started
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Lorin.jpg
Lorin L. Wilkinson Lorin L. Wilkinson, 85, passed away January 15, 2015 from poor health.
He was born December 2, 1929 and was a Navy veteran. Lorin had a long and rewarding career as a pilot with
Western Airlines. He also spent time as a cattle rancher, sailboat racer, aircraft builder
and dear friend to many around the globe. A loving husband, devoted father, he is survived by his son, Don.

Published in The Olympian on Jan. 25, 2015
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hatz friends,

I was saddened to hear today of Lorin's passing. Lorin helped me decide to build a Hatz and helped me through the torturous task of beginning to learn how to build a REAL BIPLANE. He gave me so many tips, advice, tricks and direction, I almost feel like he was the grandpa staring over my shoulder as I fabricated each piece. Such an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience he shared so freely and happily. There is a real big piece of Lorin's experience and generosity in my Hatz, and I will always be grateful for the guidance he offered, expecting nothing in return.

Safe Flight, Lorin.

Nick