First Flight Requirements

Coming up on that big moment? It's time to talk with folks who have already flown your bipe type!
alvinsager

First Flight Requirements

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Gang,
With the 2 hours of work left on N90HB going to take about a year, I have been thinking about the first flight. I have flown in a Tiger Moth, but never took off or landed it. I owned a Citabria 30+ years ago and had no problem flying it from the rear seat. My recent flying has been in a Cygnet, which is a taildragger by definition only. I think it is just too easy to fly (takeoff and landing included) to be a good pre-Hatz ride.
What should a Hatz pilot do to prepare for his/her first flight? Is grass the savior that I was taught in a Citabria? Should the pilot get familiar with a similar configuration (I can get dual in a Great Lakes) of plane, or is the Hatz benign enough to normally make it a non event?
I think some input here may be helpful to anyone following the forum considering building or purchasing a Hatz.

Al
dougm

Re: First Flight Requirements

Post by dougm »

Some time in a Cub would probably be good to get you used to the visibility and relationship of your seating position to the landing gear and firewall. You'll need to get used to looking out the side instead of straight ahead.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
hreilly

Post by hreilly »

Hi Al,
Since you have tailwheel experience, i vote on Great Lakes dual. I feel the GL will closely simulate the visual feeling of the Hatz. Any back seat experience in a Cub, Champ, Citabria, Husky, etc. is a benefit. If you can safely fly one of these from the back, should be good for the Hatz. The GL is more docile on the ground than a Cub and Hatz, but not by much. If you will test the Hatz on pavement, fly the GL on pavement. I test flew my Hatz on pavement with no problem, but now I'm based on grass, and grass is definitely more forgiving. Also, after low and high speed taxi testing, I knew my gear tracking was okay. I had back seat experience checking out pilots in a PA-18 and PA-12, also had flown a GL, Franklin Sport and Parakeet. Feel free to contact me.
Good Luck, Herb, SN-400, based 2NK9.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I agree with the suggestions presented. The GL is a good place to start and the back seat time in the Cub or Champ would be benfeficial also.
Be carefull with that high speed taxi thing "lest the earth come up and smite thee"
Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
741hc

Post by 741hc »

I have over 300 hours in a Citabria, with fewer than 10 from the rear seat, and over 700 landings in the Citabria, again with most from the front seat. I flew the Citabria 3.9 from the back in the month before my first flight in my Hatz, May 31, but I now wish I could have had a few landings in a Hatz, from the back seat, with someone who knows Hatzes. That opportunity was there, of course, I was in too much of a hurry to take advantage of it. I now am well past 50 TOs and landings and am feeling much more comfortable, but think it would have gone more smoothly with a little in-flight coaching from someone with lots of Hatz time. I believe the key for me was learning to come over the fence slower than with my Citabria and then being very patient; holding the attitude and adding a little power before touchdown to slow the rate of descent. I am now in no hurry to pull the stick back. I let it all happen when the plane is ready, pulling the stick back in concert with the tail wheel settling in. I'm sure each plane is unique and you'll do fine, but don't get too frustrated if your first landings are reminiscent of a runaway grocery cart; as Mike Foote describes them. Make very firm but small rudder inputs, always ready to make another firm but small input in the opposite direction, and no brakes until the rudders are ineffective and/or until you need them.
My 2 cents worth. Most of all, relax as much as you can, respect the plane, respect yourself and remember that flying is supposed to be fun! Chuck
Mark Marino

Post by Mark Marino »

Hi Al,

I'm a firm believer in EAA's flight advisor program. Their role is not to tell you what to do but to point out what you can do to make your first flight safe and successful. Another good advisor was my insurance agent. He insisted that I get actual biplane time...preferably in a Hatz before he would insure me on my first fight.

I flew a J-3 Cub (200+hrs & close to 500 landings) for five years right up until the Hatz first flight. I also had a Citabria for a short time. All experience is good but nothing was better than getting actual Hatz time...thank you Lyman!

Good luck,
Mark
741hc

Post by 741hc »

Excellent advice, Mark.
The EAA Flight Advisor program is a wonderful benefit of membership in EAA. The Tech counselors were invaluable as I built my plane; many times pointing out issues both large and small; and my flight advisor was great. He provided lots of background information about what I should do on my first flights and why those things are important. He even provided 'scripts' for a kneeboard to keep me on track during the first flights while I was otherwise all gaga about just being in the air in my own plane! It helps to make the experience a little more businesslike and regimented, rather than all emotional and giddy. It's still emotional and giddy, just a little less. I can honestly say that when things worked, it was with his help and when they didn't work out so well, it was partially because I had forgotten or blown off his advice.
It's a great program!
Chuck