Flying performance of various Hatz models

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
DLrocket89

Flying performance of various Hatz models

Post by DLrocket89 »

Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old engineer and am looking to build my first airplane. I'm considering one of the Hatz biplanes.

Can someone describe to me the differences in handling between the 4 Hatz models? I'll be a fairly low time pilot when I do the first flight, probably doing training in a Cessna 140 or a Cub, so I'm interested in anything like "you should be a seasoned taildragger pilot before flying this plane".

Thanks!

Dustin Lobner
Rockford, IL
dougm

Re: Flying performance of various Hatz models

Post by dougm »

Hi Dustin,

I'm far from completing my Hatz and there are others far better suited to answer your question than I, but I would like to clarify (not to split hairs) that there are three (not four) Hatz models. I say that since there are three models for which plans are produced and the design has support.

The models are:
Hatz CB-1 - Plans/support available from the Hatz Biplane Association
Hatz Classic - Plans/support available from Makelan Corp. - www.hatzclassic.com
Hatz Bantam - Plans/support available from www.HatzBantam.com

There are many other Hatz's out there that have taken on there own "model" names, but these are "one of a kind" variants and the builder(s) do not sell plans or support them as a separate model line of Hatz.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Excellent!! Another new "Hatzer".
As for flight experience, if you are comfortable in a two place tail dragger you'll have no problem in any of the Hatz variants. The real trick is to get as much "back seat" time as you can in a Cub, Champ, Citabria or such to give you the correct perspective of taking off and landing "blind". Once you're warm and fuzzy with that, line it up on the run way, forward to the stop and fly the thing....

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Dustin,

I just started flying our Hatz last October, so I'm by no means an expert. I had about 40 hours of tailwheel time, but no back seat time. So, I got a few lessons in a Champ and really appreciated it when flying the Hatz. If you have access to a super-cub I'm guessing it would be even more benificial to get time in it, since it would be more comparable in power and speed, but as Jeff mentioned just get to the point that you are comfortable flying from the back seat.

In addition, if you are a MS flight sim guy, download a pitts and try landing it. I'm convinced that if you can land a pitts you can do anything.

Ryan Wheeler
Indianapolis, IN
DLrocket89

Post by DLrocket89 »

dougm wrote:Hi Dustin,

I'm far from completing my Hatz and there are others far better suited to answer your question than I, but I would like to clarify (not to split hairs) that there are three (not four) Hatz models. I say that since there are three models for which plans are produced and the design has support.

The models are:
Hatz CB-1 - Plans/support available from the Hatz Biplane Association
Hatz Classic - Plans/support available from Makelan Corp. - http://www.hatzclassic.com
Hatz Bantam - Plans/support available from http://www.HatzBantam.com

There are many other Hatz's out there that have taken on there own "model" names, but these are "one of a kind" variants and the builder(s) do not sell plans or support them as a separate model line of Hatz.

Hi Doug,

What about the Kelly-D?

Dustin
DLrocket89

Post by DLrocket89 »

One question that I have for everyone, what's the difference between the CB-1 and the Classic?

I plan on putting in a Rotec 2800 or 3600, so that's part of the equation. I know someone put a 3600 in a Classic, and found another post about CG issues and how they may or may not be a concern with the CB-1 and the 2800. Given that, I would assume that the CB-1 is a bit smaller than a Classic?

EDIT: right after posting that, I found this: http://www.hatzclassic.com/History/history.html

That would tend to push me towards the Classic.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

Dustin

I would be happy to meet you and visit regarding the Hatz. I live at the Poplar Grove Airport (about 10 miles NE of Rockford) and I have a little experience with the Hatz and the various options.
You can email me at billrusk@aol.com put Hatz in the subject line so I don't delete it.

Bill
DLrocket89

Post by DLrocket89 »

Bill Rusk wrote:Dustin

I would be happy to meet you and visit regarding the Hatz. I live at the Poplar Grove Airport (about 10 miles NE of Rockford) and I have a little experience with the Hatz and the various options.
You can email me at billrusk@aol.com put Hatz in the subject line so I don't delete it.

Bill
Bill,

Excellent, thanks! I actually live in Machesney Park (I sign w/ Rockford because noone has heard of MP), so I'm pretty close to you. I'm on a business trip this week (flying out tomorrow from OHare assuming OHare is operational), so sometime next week perhaps?

Dustin
dougm

Post by dougm »

What about the Kelly-D?

Dustin
Ah! The Kelly-D is the Kelly-D and a different animal from the Hatz. I made the point about the Hatz models because I've seen references on other forums about other "models" that are in fact names given by a particular builder to their Hatz and not models that you can buy plans for.

Postby Bill Rusk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I have a little experience with the Hatz and the various options.
Now there's an understatement. :lol: :lol: :lol: Bill is a great source of experience and information.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
DLrocket89

Post by DLrocket89 »

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks Doug! Right now, my (highly tentative) plan is to build a Classic with an R3600. What do you think of the Rotec? And CG issues with it on the Classic?

And I'm glad to be so near a good source of information... :D