SHORT FIELD PERFORMANCE

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
Dana LaBounty

SHORT FIELD PERFORMANCE

Post by Dana LaBounty »

Hey all, Before I commit to building a hatz I would like some real world numbers from anyone flying with 150 hp. from a grass strip. Solo and dual weight take-off roll and altitude at say, 1800 ft from start of roll would be usefull info. The only way I can own an airplane is to keep it at home in my hangar, more of a time thing than money. If you have non-fiction numbers I thank you in advance.
rawheels

Re: SHORT FIELD PERFORMANCE

Post by rawheels »

Hey Dana,

We fly from a 3,000' sod strip in central Indiana (meaning no hills or obstacles). So, I've never had to worry about really forcing the plane off the ground. At 920 ft elev and with two 200+ adults and full fuel our 150 HP Hatz will make it off the ground before the intersection (1500') every time. I can see what kind of numbers I can get this weekend if needed, or better yet, if you happen to be near Indianapolis why don't you come over and provide some front seat ballast?

Ryan
Dana LaBounty

Post by Dana LaBounty »

Ryan, Thanks for the offer. I'm in South Carolina and don't get that far away from home unless I get sent to Iraq or Afghanastan. Good info though. I'm in deep on a homebuilt Supercub project right now and already know I need a biplane in the hangar as well. I know the SC only needs a little bit of what I have available for runway. I see most biplanes using what seems like alot of runway for the amount of wing they have, so I'm just trying to be sure this is going to work. Seems doable especially solo. Thanks again, Dana
hreilly

Post by hreilly »

Hi Dana,
There are several variables to this question, empty weight, fuel capacity, prop, etc. My CB-1 specs and performance are: EW 883 pounds, 18 gallons gas, Sensenich wood 74-54 prop, 600x6 tires. Full fuel and myself (1200 lbs.), grass, 700 ft. MSL, I can break ground in 175 feet, maximum effort. Normal take off is 200-225 feet. I haven't measured precisely at heavier weights, but estimated less than 500 feet at 1400 pounds. My prop lets my O-320 turn up to 2800 on climb out, which helps with the ground acceleration. They all seem to perform well, you should enjoy it. Herb