Flying a passenger

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
mtaylor

Re: Flying a passenger

Post by mtaylor »

As with any tail dragger, if you drop something, all you can do is sit and listen to it bounce it's way down into the belly and back towards the tail. When the sounds stop, you have an idea how far back your gonna have to fish. It's so much better when something dropped can be retrieved by a magnet. On that subject, I found out that the best way to use the magnet when retrieving is to lay under the fuselage and slide the magnet over the belly skin fabric in the vacinity of the dropped object. When you reach the spot where it's lying, the magnet will grab it making it more difficult to slide the magnet over the fabric skin. Then you can use the magnet to slide the object towards the nearest port of hand entry. This trick is also a great way to "sweep" the entire belly of the fuselage and wings looking for FOD (Foriegn Object Damage, in Air Farce jargon). Anything in there of ferruos metal with "grab" the magnet leaving no doubt that you've found something. It would ruin your day to do a loop or aileron roll and have a stray bolt or washer fall into a bellcrank and lock up the ailerons or elevator.

Just a little tidbit, but it might prove useful to someone someday.
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

Great hint on magnet. Also avoid using stainless steel nuts and washers. If i had it to do over - I would install a raised lip across the floor behind the rear pit seat??

Michael
N838MM
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Just re reread my post and, even previewing it before posting, I still see an error. It should say "ferrous metal WILL grab", not "with grab".