Flying a passenger

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
jasstech

Flying a passenger

Post by jasstech »

I am currently trying to decide which biplane I want to build. The Hatz would be way up on my list if it wasn't for one concern I have. How in the world can a passenger climb into the front pit on a Hatz? It seems like if you're short you won't be able to climb up to swing your legs in. If you are tall, you have to be a contortionist to fit under the top wing.

The only way I am ever going to be able to build a biplane is if my wife will be able to climb in so she can ride along with me. Is it as difficult as it looks like it would be to climb into the front pit on a Hatz or is there a trick that makes it easier than it seems?

Since getting in is only half the battle, is getting out very difficult?
JBMoore

Re: Flying a passenger

Post by JBMoore »

International Director Michel Pallier coved it very nicely.....
Image52small.jpg
But seriously folks, getting into and out of the front seat can be a bit tricky and unruly. I have passengers as tall as 6'-3" get in and out by sticking their head through the roll wires, grabbing onto the cabanes and stepping onto the seat. They can then gracefully lower themselves into the seat.
I also have a door in the side that can be opened to allow better access.
Jeff Moore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Jasstech,

I'm not sure that it can be done gracefully, but getting in the front cockpit is doable. Kids 5-16+ will just walk up the wing and easily jump in to the complete amazement of every older person who has contorted their body to make it in themselves. My father (in his 60's) climbs in the front by turning towards the tail. Stepping in on the seat with his left foot first, and then supporting his weight on the rear cockpit side tubes, gets his right foot in. Then he turns around on the seat and sits down. Getting out is the reverse action. He has done it many times, and it seems to work for most people that I take up, but as I mentioned, I'm not sure there is anyone who does it without being a little awkward.

Ryan
dougm

Post by dougm »

Some folks have built doors to aid in getting in & out of the front 'pit. I will be putting a door in mine as well. I'm using the Waco "F" series as a guide and have some drawings to work from. There are no drawings for a door on the standard plans, but there are plenty of examples out there to draw from.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
jasstech

Post by jasstech »

I've seen a Hatz CB-1 with a "door". It looks like it amounted to two or three inches and hinged downward. Is this the kind of door that you are putting in your Hatz's?
dougm

Post by dougm »

Some folks have done that. Others have made their door extend further down which is what I'll be doing.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Jeff,

Is that cartoon available in a larger version somewhere online? It is awesome!
vtorti

Post by vtorti »

:D Pretty funny! After 12 years of flying passengers in my Hatz I have seen some pretty creative ways to get in/out of the front cockpit. Some people use one way in but a different way out...maybe in a rush to get to firm ground(?)! "Stay away from the site gauge...watch out for the antenna...stay on the wing walk!!!" Young ladies are always a challenge...you know the "don't touch the butt rule". My brother-in-law is a big guy and I thought for sure he would get in but never get out! That cartoon does say it all!

Vic in NH
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

That picture has been published several times in past newsletters and I've attached the largest jpg file I have. The last time I remember it being published was in the June 2004 issue.
Do a right click and "save picture as" to your hard drive... with proper credit to the artist.

Jeff
Image52.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

For the first time since Jan 2003. I have got to practice getting in the front pit (all wings are on). I have tried several ways. the best for me is the backwards entry. I step up on the wing turn towards the tail, hold on to the rear pit supports, step in with my left foot, follow with the right, then turn and sit. Works the same getting out. I am 6'-6" 200 pounds. No problem and needs no assistance. The rear pit is a snap.

The only problem I have discovered is that if you drop something - good luck on reaching it.

michael
N838MM