Crosswind Landing Technique

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
sbamyett

Crosswind Landing Technique

Post by sbamyett »

I recently bought a CB-1 with an 0-320. I have about 100 hours of tailwheel time from my previous homebuilt (an Acey Deucey) which was a very forgiving taildragger to fly.
I have about 20 hours in the Hatz now (mostly in calm winds) and can tell it is a little more challenging to land and with limited forward visibility. I would appreciate some feedback from other Hatz pilots as to:
1- Your personal wind/crosswind limits when flying the Hatz.
2- Preferred crosswind landing technique ( 3 point full stall or wheel landings).
3- Normal pattern/landing speeds you use.
4- Any other pertinent landing tips or experience.
5- My Hatz has a solid tailwheel that does not swivell 360 degrees.
Any advantage to a different style of tailwheel?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
hatz215

Re: Crosswind Landing Technique

Post by hatz215 »

SB,

1) I've had mine in 35 knot crosswinds. It has enough rudder for that but be advised that with the rudder stop built as shown on the plans that full rudder puts you in to full swivel on a Maule TW
2 ) I prefer a wing down into the wind and keep the nose straight with rudder, landing on the upwind wheel (works three point or wheel but I wheel it on more often)
3) I usually pull the power back abeam the numbers and prolly use 65 or so, turning approach. If I'm going in to a short grass strip, I slow it on down, use a little trickle of power and just enough slip to see around the nose.
4) You can't practice too much. I enjoy shooting landings as much as any thing else. What kind of field are you flying from?
5) All popular tailwheels are fine if you get the springs adjusted correctly. I've used a solid Maule on mine for 28 years
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi All,
I am happy that this subject came up. I too have been flying a real easy taildragger (Cygnet) for 20+ years. I had a Citabria long ago and regularly flew it from the back seat, but with all the time since, I hope my skills will return quickly. I am thinking of getting some time in something closer to the Hatz before attempting to fly mine. Would a Super Cub be close enough or should I seek out something with two wings? Does the high center of gravity require and different techniques? I have been told that the Stearman is very challenging to land.
Having the tailwheel set-up so that at full rudder deflection it does not unlock it is probably a good idea. I will be using a Maule Tundra which came with my project.
Thanks,
Al
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

I let a guy fly mine that had Cub and Super Cub time and he did alright. Actually, a clipped Cub would be a great Hatz trainer.

Steve