STOL Hatz?

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
wildhorsesracing

STOL Hatz?

Post by wildhorsesracing »

My HATZ seems to leap off the ground with just me in it. I am working on shortening the landing roll but it all got me to thinking after watching a Valdez video of some of those STOL takeoffs and landings.

I wonder why more Biplanes aren't in those competitions? I would think with two wings and all of the drag of the wires etc. that we could probably get a HATZ down in a short distance as well... What are some of your Takeoff and Landing distances?
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
orchardair

Re: STOL Hatz?

Post by orchardair »

What is the empty weight of your Hatz? What engine & prop are you using?
Hatz Classic plans# 136
wildhorsesracing

I'll have to check the logs when I get to the airport. It is a Piper PA-22-150 Pacer fuselage with an O-320 and factory prop. I can get the specs later today.
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
wildhorsesracing

It weighs 1070 lbs empty and I am 5'10" 250 lbs - I was able to take off in less than 300 ft today and saw close to 2000 fpm climb.

I looked for the Prop specs but couldn't find them, how can I determine which Prop I have?
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

That information should be in the owner's manual. From what I found online, it is a Sensenich metal propeller, design M74DM with a 74 inch diameter and a pitch of 61".
Hatz Classic plans# 136