Goggles for eye protection in Hatzes

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
741hc

Goggles for eye protection in Hatzes

Post by 741hc »

Has anyone found goggles that can be worn over prescription glasses and/or sunglasses? I wear large, wrap around prescription sunglasses for flying and thought that would be enough, but I'm getting dust in my eyes nearly every flight. This is not good because I am an optometrist and I should no better! If you've found some goggles that work, especially if they resemble the ones the original biplane pilots wore, please let us know!
Thanks,
Chuck
alvinsager

Re: Goggles for eye protection in Hatzes

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Chuck,
I did some looking into that very subject. My brother who is an avid skier suggested ski goggles. Unfortunately they look like ski goggles. They block wind and breathe and do not fog. What if we slip them on after taxiing from the ramp and off before taxiing in?
If you find something better, pass it along. Congrats on completing your Hatz, and your award.
Al
WacoJoe

Post by WacoJoe »

These are the ones I have. They work great over my glasses.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Type+521+G ... rod_id/99/
Cheers!

Joe

741hc

Post by 741hc »

Thanks, Al and Joe.
I'll be looking at a Harley store too, just in case something the 'bikers' wear might be usable by us 'bipers'! Joe...I stared at your picture for a couple of minutes before figuring out it was you with sunglasses sans goggles. I did go to the website to take a look at the goggles, too.

BTW, 50 hours and getting more comfortable all the time. It's still pretty wild when the mains touch, the tail goes down and the world shrinks to a very small triangle of red, green and blue on each side, formed by bottom wing, fuselage.
Thanks,
Chuck
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Chuck,

Maybe you've found a niche? As an optometrist, you could talk to the company that makes your lenses and see about getting prescription lenses made for some aviation goggles. Living so close to EAA headquarters, you could have a cool new addition to your practice!