2011 HBA Annual Fly-In at Brodhead, WI

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
mtaylor

Re: 2011 HBA Annual Fly-In at Brodhead, WI

Post by mtaylor »

We does what we hasta does...
Next year!
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

A huge thank you to all who managed to make it to the show and especially to those who flew in and gave rides. Although we had a bit of rain this year it was a good fly-in with great camaraderie and fellowship as always. We are going to push hard for a big event next year so please start to plan now.

This was shot by my neighbor. Just a cool photo as a test to see if I can remember how to post pictures.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

I was fortunate this year to be able to host our friends and fellow Hatz builders from Switzerland. Hans and Sam Gautschi (father and son), and Juerg Muller. They stayed at my house and then went on up to Oshkosh. I enjoyed their company immensely and look forward to hosting them again.

Picture of Juerg in front of a borrowed Supercub

Sam Gautschi, the metal master. Very talented welder and sheetmetal craftsman.

I was quite concerned that these guys had traveled a long way and might not get to do much flying, but in actuality it seems they got rides in a number of different aircraft including an OX-5 powered Waco. I managed to get in a little time with them as well in a Cub. Hopefully next year the Mehlin Smith Hatz will be up and running and giving rides. I will be working on it this winter to give it a top overhaul or whatever is necessary to insure that we have confidence in the engine. We did manage to taxi it out for viewing this year.

Mehlins Hatz on the flightline

Over the years I have come to rely on Jeff Moore and Jim Wright to show up and they always give rides and share their knowledge. It was really nice to have them both here again and to see jeff's daughter again as well. She is the proud new mom of a healthy baby girl. Congratulations.

Jeff Moore Hatz. This baby has been to a lot of fly-ins and is always a great ambassador to the Hatz community. Thank you Jeff.

Jim Wright Hatz. Another long time participant to this group and a great Hatz that, like Jeff, finds its way cross country often.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

This was the 13th annual Midwest Regional Hatz fly-in. Wow, where does the time go. The first was right after I moved to Illinois, and was initially intended to be just an afternoon Bar-B-Que in my backyard for the Chicago area Hatz builders to get to know one another. Guys like Rick Hansen, Dale Severs, Doug McBeth, and Mike Devroy were there. Remember those names? But before it even started I had folks calling in from around the country wanting to know if they could come too. It was not long until it had turned into a three day event and we moved it to the other end of the airport as my backyard was not big enough. We had my project, two completed Hatz, and a Kelly-D that first year, man how things have grown. The Midwest regional is still the place to go if you are building a Hatz, and you want to see Hatz biplanes, get a ride in one or two, talk Hatz, and meet with other Hatz builders. I am going to push HARD for a big gathering next year. I did not put much effort into it this year (personal issues, I was a bit underwater, sorry ) but I will try hard to not let you guys down next year. Mark and Sandra Marino were at the first regional and they have been to most of them since then. We missed them his year but perhaps with a little arm twisting we can get them to come next year. Mark and Sandra are the ones to go to for the Hatz Bantam plans and parts. This is the LSA Hatz that Mark designed around the Jabiru engine.

Link to the Hatz Bantam website http://www.hatzbantam.com/fly%20a%20hat ... iplane.htm

This is a shot of the Hatz line up this year.

Here are some cockpit photos followed by a interior shot of that panel. I hope I get everyone properly identified.

This is the Mehlin Smith Hatz

Built by Lorin Wilkinson, currently owned by Luke Wuest.

This was originally built by Bill Schlapman, currently owned by Bob Lee but flown in to the show by Allen Hatz. This Hatz had a LeBlond radial when Schlapman built it but it has since been re-engined with an 0-290 due to the difficulty of getting parts for the LeBlond.

Chris Greenlee Hatz. 4 inch widebody Hatz.

Jeff Moore Hatz

Jim Wright Hatz
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

We had some weather this year, that no doubt had an impact on attendance. We missed Jim and Jeanie Pinkerton. Next year Jim is going to fly his Hatz up so everyone can see it. Right Jim? After all we would expect nothing less from an officer of the association. :D As you can see I have already started working on these folks for next year to see if we can't set a new record for the most Hatz in one place at one time. How am I doing so far? I am sure Chuck Brownlow will fly in next year and Steve Dietz will be there in his Hatz as well. Wow....come to think of it, they are all officers of the association, so surely we can count on them. Jim Hammond has agreed to fly his Hatz in next year.
We did have the business meeting this year and we voted to continue the Association as is with no changes in the officers of the Association. Bill Rusk (that would be me) stood in for Jim Pinkerton and read the treasurers report. In a nutshell the Association is healthy and doing well.

Chris Greenlee Hatz from Oklahoma

Bill Schlapman built, Bob Lee owned, flown in by Allen Hatz

A line-up shot

Looking through the Mehlin Smith Hatz

Mehlin Smith Hatz, with the Snooty hatz and Schlapman hatz in the background.

Another line-up shot

A good shot of the LOM engined Hatz built by Lorin Wilkinson, and currently owned by Luke Wuest

Schlapman built, Bob Lee owned. 0-290 engine
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

This is the Hatz with the fuselage widened by 4 inches. I have flown this one and it flies just like all the other Hatz, great. Currently owned and flown by Chris Greenlee of Tulsa Oklahoma

Jeff Moore Hatz. Jeff is a great Hatz supporter, often answering posts on the web site and can be counted on to give a new Hatz builder a motivational ride. Thank you Jeff.

Jim Wright Hatz. Another big Hatz supporter, he and Jeff often fly their Hatz to fly-ins together.

a little video of the warner hatz engine loping along. After sitting for several months it started on the first pull both times. Seems a shame to do a top overhaul when it is running so well. Click on the photo to get it to run.

Folks

I guess this puts another Midwest Regional Hatz Fly-in in the history books. I have sure enjoyed my time with this group. I have yet to meet a Hatz builder that I did not like. It is a great group of people and I am proud to be associated with you all. I am sure there are a lot of folks I did not mention in this report but that does not mean you were not noticed or appreciated.
I will try to put some more thoughts into this thread later. Thanks again to all and God Bless you.

Bill
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Yup, another MR HATZ is in the books.
Jennifer and I had a good time and enjoyed the weekend!
A "Tip of the Topper" (remember that?) to Bill and the officers for putting on another great weekend. It takes a person with the drive and skill to put something like this together and the support of the organization to supply the funds to make it happen.
If you haven't been able to attend, start now doing whatever is necessary to free up your schedule and make plans to be there. You won't regret it!
Lets see... 334 days and counting.... see you Friday afternoon in time for the fish boil.
Thanks again Bill and the officers.

Jeff and Jennifer Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.