Brodhead Hatz Fly-in 2012

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
dougm

Re: Brodhead Hatz Fly-in 2012

Post by dougm »

Nice! What a great gesture!
I didn't make it, but I'd like to buy one if there are any available.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

Jeff Moore made it to the fly-in again this year. I can't say enough good things about Jeff. He makes the fly-ins so others can see a Hatz, he gives rides so new builders can be encouraged, he answers questions on the forum to help builders; he has been and continues to be a BIG asset to the Hatz group. Thank you Jeff. And it was great to see Jeffs daughter Jen at the fly-in as well. Jen comes with her dad just about every year. Great to see the father/daughter relationship.

We had a Hatz that I was not familiar with show up this year.

Here is a link to some good pictures. I shot a number of close up type photos to show details but I guess I forgot to get an overview picture.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 71K:1.html

It was built by Ken Johnson according to an internet search and completed in 2002. It is currently owned by Andy and Ryan Wheeler from Westfield IN.

Note the tie down ring. This has to be built in during the wing phase. This is a good idea.

Note how he handled the fuel drain.

Looks like he changed the location of the bend in the lower longeron to match the wing trailing edge

A colorful and unique paint job. Neat. (Yes these photos were taken at Oshkosh, I did not get them while this plane was at the Hatz fly-in. I got kinda busy.)

This is the info sheet

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

I missed seeing Herb and Ro Reilly this year. This might be the first Hatz fly-in that they have not been to. Always a big supporter of the Hatz group and two of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Ron Sieck was at the fly-in this year but unfortunately for us he did not bring his Hatz. He is still hard at work rebuilding Eve.
Eve was built by Ray and Dorothy Hill and was one of the first Hatz to be completed. It was subsequently sold to Dr Jeff Cain who has given many rides in it. I have no doubt the restoration will be superb and I look forward to seeing it fly and give rides and make smiles once more.

Bill
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Speaking of nice people, I believe a word needs to be said about Bill Rusk.
Bill has one of the most beautiful and unique Hatzs out there, with the Warner 145 on the nose, but that doesn't stop him from believing that giving rides is the best thing you could do with it. Bill trusted me to take the controls and aim at the ground, which to me was amazing. I can't thank him enough for the awesome experience and the boost in motivation it gave me to continue work on the Hatz. What a guy.
Hatz Classic plans# 136