Brodhead Hatz Fly-in 2010

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
Bill Rusk

Re: Brodhead Hatz Fly-in 2010

Post by Bill Rusk »

Folks, I will try to make a small after action report from the fly-in. This was the 12th Midwest Regional and the first to be seriously impacted by the weather. We only had 4 Hatz on the field, the lowest number since the first one of these events in 1999 when it was held in my backyard. Mother nature just pounded us with rain, but in spite of it all we still managed to get together and talk Hatz and have a good time.

Unfortunately I was not able to get the Mehlin Smith Hatz to the show. I found a cracked head and piston during the annual condition inspection this year and have been working on that issue. It was close, I had it all assembled with new parts but could not adjust a valve due to a pushrod length issue. I anticipate it will be flying in the next week or two. For those not familiar with this Hatz it was built by Mehlin Smith and I usually give lots of rides in it. It looks like this, with a Warner 145 engine.

Jim Hammond made it in his very nice, built very close to the plans, Hatz CB-1. Jim flew in from Ohio and managed to get there before the Wx hit. His Hatz is always a pleasure to see. This is what an 0-200 CB-1 plans built Hatz looks like. It flys great, I might add.

Luke Wuest made it down from Oshkosh, WI in the Snooty Hatz. This Hatz was built by Lorin Wilkinson, the fine aviator who started the Hatz Biplane Association. It is powered by a LOM in-line inverted engine. Lots of mods to this plane and outstanding craftsmanship. It is a great testiment to Lorins skill as a builder.

It was a pleasure to see old friends and meet new ones. I have often said the Hatz is a fine airplane but the people are really what it is all about. Jim and Jeanie Pinkerton were there and Jim gave the treasurers report at the annual business meeting. Jim has done this job for some time now, 6 years I think, and the Hatz Assoc is lucky to have him in that capacity. Thank you both. Doug Moury made his first meeting. It was a pleasure to meet him and we are fortunate to have Doug doing the website. It is great. Thank you Doug. After the fly-in Doug came by the house and we had a chance to talk and compare notes on Mehlins Hatz.
Lyman and Clifford Hatz made the Fly-in once again. It is really neat to have their knowledge and support at these events. Hatz off to them both for their support.
I had a nice visit with Ron and Margy Sieck. Ron built a near perfect Classic and graced the Aircraft Spruce catalog cover for an issue along with winning many awards at Oshkosh. He is currently rebuilding Jeff Cains Hatz built by Ray and Dorothy Hill. It will no doubt be perfect. Ron is a very talented builder, the type you admire and hate, because he is so good. I know I am going to leave out a lot of folks I visited with and met there but I can only type so much and there is so much more to say.

Kevin Conner and I spoke prior to the fly-in and he mentioned he and his friends were coming up on Thursday. I suggested they stay at my place and we could all fly over together (I thought Mehlins Hatz would be up and running) on Friday morning. It worked out really well as they made it to my place just before the rains hit. We managed to find hangar space for the two Hatz and also the C-182 mother ship. In the end I had 3 Hatz and a Supercub in my hangar. It was a little tight. It may be hard to see but there is another Hatz behind the cub.

We had a pretty good Hatz party Thursday evening, after touring all my neighbors hangars and the engine shop etc. Friday rained so much we borrowed a neighbors van and drove over to Brodhead to visit a while. Then it was rush back to Poplar Grove to see if we could get Mehlins Hatz together in time to fly over on Sat. At about 8 pm we were dead in the water on Mehlins Hatz but we did manage to have a great BBQ in front on the hangar. About 14 folks were there for a very informal and unplanned grill event. We were planning to be at Brodhead not in my backyard but figured with all the rain indoor plumbing seemed better than a flooded tent. We got up Sat morning to the sound of rain on the roof and the sump pump in my basement running overtime. Fortunately it cleared off and we flew the Hatz to Brodhead at around noon. The gaggle was Bill Bente and I in Dave foley's Hatz built by Claude Jochman.

And Chris Greenlee and Kevin Conner in N142SM.

Due to the impending weather Sat evening we came back to my place and had a ball burning up the pattern and doing an airshow for my neighbors. A gaggle trip for some Mexican food completed a perfect day. The four guys that camped in my living room...
Dave, Chris, Kevin and Bill (left to right)
Last edited by Bill Rusk on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

That post was getting so long I thought I better split it up. I also had a great visit with Herb Riley. A great supporter of this event, Herb comes all the way from New York and may be the only one who has been to all 12 of these events. We definately missed Jeff Moore and Jim Wright this year. Two other great Hatz guys that have made just about all of these events. The weather kept John Kerr from getting his Rotec powered Hatz in. He gave up on the wx after flying all the way from Salt Lake city and put it in a hangar in Iowa, rented a car and drove the last 150 miles. Now that is dedication. I and lots of others were sure looking forward to seeing his beautiful Hatz. Perhaps next year. Mark and Sandra Marino got weathered out as well. They too have made just about all of the Midwest Regionals. Chuck Brownlow also got weathered out. Again we were looking forward to seeing his newly completed B model Hatz. Unfortunately Chuck has got so busy at work he had to give up the newsletter editor job. Chuck did a great job for a long time on the newsletters. The good news is Ron and Margy Sieck are going to pick up the job. I know we are all looking forward to seeing more newsletters. Maybe we will even get some hints on how Ron does such nice Hatz building. I am sure I am leaving out lots of people and news but I am running out of steam here folks. It would help a lot if I knew how to type (and spell) but it takes a long time for me to hunt and peck all this dribble. Here are a few more pictures from the OK gaggle at my place.

Kevin Conner and Bill Bente

Chris Greenlee in his Hatz

Ready to launch Sunday morning. Note that the weather is great now that the fly-in is over. Murphy.

Dave Foley cleaning the windshield of the cargo laden mother ship, C-182

Enroute to Brodhead on Sat

Enroute to Brodhead on Sat

You know I almost forgot about the mailbox story and the multiple 360's on taxi but I'll save those stories for another time. It will make for a great campfire story at Blakesburg of which we are all going to try to make. It should be a hoot.

Hope this helps those who could not be there and a few good memories for those who were. See you all next year, same place, same time less the rain.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Rusk on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

You know, one of the great things about Brodhead is the chance to see and maybe fly in other Hatz. This year I had the opportunity to fly the widebody Hatz. Thank you Chris. It is 4 inches wider than a CB-1 and it flys just like any other Hatz, very well indeed but the extra room is definately a pluss. I think when the time comes to weld up my own Hatz it will be from 2 to 4 inches wider. I do not have a cockpit picture, you can not easily see the extra width anyway, but it is there. Here is a picture. Covered in superflight, Waco Maroon, first flight was in 94, built by Shellenberg, and a couple of other guys. Very nice.

Bill

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Bill,
Good coverage, GREAT pics! Thanks for the update. I had time scheduled off for the flyin, but had the clutch go out in my truck just before the event. I've been checking the forum since Saturday to hear how things went.

Update on my doins...
Moved in to my country cottage adjacent to a local airpark. Did a total overhaul on the house, including geothermal HVAC from a large pond on the property. Plan to build my hangar this fall and finish the Hatz in the spring.

Thanks again, Bill. Enjoyed your posts!

Mark T
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

I too have been watching the forum for the updates and pics. Thanks! Glad to see the "okie boys" made it, I so want to be one of them some day! I hope I can make it next year...I am also busy building my hanger in hopes that it will eventually speed my CB-1 build. I am about too cramped in my single car garage! Thanks again to all, as it keeps the flames burning!
Dave
PA-12
dougm

Post by dougm »

Well, I'm recently back from Brodhead & OSH, with a trip to Bill's place @ Poplar Grove completing the trifecta! Bill, thanks so much for the hospitality and the chance to go over Mehlin's Hatz in detail. I had a great time.

It was great to put faces to names @ Brodhead, what a great airport and fabulous bunch of people. The rain on Friday night certainly soaked the tents, but not the spirits. had a great time and got a lot of questions answered... thanks everyone!

OSH was great, John Kerr's Rotec Hatz is certainly a motivator for getting moving on mine, and Chuck Brownlow's Hatz... WOW! What a beauty!. It all ended too soon.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster