Oshkosh 2010 "3 Hatz Winners"

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
hreilly

Oshkosh 2010 "3 Hatz Winners"

Post by hreilly »

Grand Champion Plans Built - Gold Lindy
Mark Marino, Duluth, Minnesota
2005 Hatz Bantam, N101HB

Kit Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque
John Kerr, Logan, Utah
2009 Hatz Classic, NX687HZ

Plans Champion - Bronze Lindy
Charles Brownlow, Wild Rose, Wisconsin
2009 Hatz Classic, N741HC

John Kerr, Logan, Utah
2009 Hatz Classic, N687HZ

Congratulations to all, outstanding aircraft built by outstanding people.
Herb & Ro
dougm

Re: Oshkosh 2010 "3 Hatz Winners"

Post by dougm »

Congratulations to all! I've added the photos and updated the gallery.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

Congratulations to all three. I posted a couple of photos in the Bantam thread with a congratulatons to Mark and Sandra for their accomplishment so I hope they will not feel slighted if I post a few other photos here. I would like to point out that Mark did a LOT of work and analysis in the redesign of the Hatz into the Bantam and Mark has learned enough areo engineering that he could probably hire out as a consultant. Very sharp guy! I did not have much time to visit with John Kerr but his workmanship was absolutely first rate. The Hatz group has definately set very high standards. If we were to look at the number built and then displayed at Oshkosh I think we would see a very high percentage of award winners. On a percent basis probably more than any other type homebuilt.

I had a very nice visit with Chuck Brownlow at Oshkosh and we talked quite a lot about his plane and the connection with the name "Rocinante"
Perhaps Chuck will write a more in depth essay on it all, but it is quite interesting. Rocinante was the horse for the fictional character Don Quixote. The painting on the fuselage is a take off of the Picasso rendition of Don Quixote, Rocinante, and Quixote's squire Sancho. Windmills in the background are part of the story and where we got the phrase "Tilting at Windmills" as Quixote was infamous for fighting imaginary villans in the book. At any rate, there is a bell curve for intelligence in the USA and Chuck Brownlow is at the FAR right of that curve. It was my pleasure to spend a few minutes talking with Chuck.
Chuck used the airtec covering system and got a spectacular finish on his Hatz. No orange peel and a very smooth, glossy finish. This airplane was worthy of any award given. Congratulations Chuck. here are some pictures.

Bill

Tilting at windmills

Chuck and Rocinante

Rocinante panel

Note the clean installation of the primer, radios and the arm rest. Also note that Chuck used a baseball bat for a stick. Very clever and the throttle is also from the bat. Great idea.

Front cockpit panel

Nice logo and an honorable contribution

Congratulations Chuck
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

And also a very nice Job by John Kerr working with a different engine. Beautiful workmanship. I am sure it is a lot of fun to fly.
Congratulations John.

Note the clean interior. I really like it.

Front panel

Very nice work on a tough job, beautiful cockpit combing.

Nice, clean panel work

Congratulations John Kerr on a beautiful and unique Hatz!

Bill
741hc

Post by 741hc »

Thanks, Bill for the photos and the kind words. Eleven years of building and living is a long time, with tons of 'ups' and 'downs', but flying my plane to OSH made the whole 'trip' worth it. The friends that I've made and the great conversations that I've had since I stumbled into the world of Hatz biplanes would have been enough, but the OSH experience puts it all over the top. Standing next to my plane last week, Bill and I had a long conversation about heel brakes vs. toe brakes, brakes in the front cockpit or not, just like Hatzers have every time we get together; whether in person or via email or Forum. It's a wonderful 'family' of folks with a very significant common interest; building/flying/admiring/discussing/customizing these wonderful flying machines.

One last note about the EAA/OSH experience...I was privileged to participate today in a air to air photo shoot at dawn this morning. What a thrill for a true amateur builder and pilot to be in the same airspace in close formation with Bruce Moore, the photo pilot extraordinaire and Jim Koepnick, the airplane photographer extraordinaire. I wasn't in their league, but that didn't keep me from agreeing to do it and it surely didn't keep me from enjoying it! What a blast! I was so disoriented after 45 minutes of formation flying that I offered to lead Bruce back to my home airport and flew for a couple of minutes holding a course 90 degrees from the correct course. It proves once again that no matter how blessed we are, we're continuously getting lessons in humility.

My wish for each of you is that you can experience the kind of satisfaction and blessing in your lives that I've felt since my first flight in NX741HC, May 31. It may not be in building and flying your own airplane, but I hope you are able to find some activity that rewards you the way I have been rewarded...Great relationships, great conversations, great friends, great opportunities to share, beautiful sights and fantastic heights. Best wishes for a fulfilling finish to 2010! Chuck