Blakesburg anyone?

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
M Lightsey

Blakesburg anyone?

Post by M Lightsey »

My buddy Bruce has been after me to go to Blakesburg and I finally ran out of excuses. NX1279 has been finished for over a year and neither Jack or I have really taken it anywhere, so now's the time. It's a long damn way from Flabob but the heck, gas isn't getting any cheaper....
Anyone else going?
JBMoore

Re: Blakesburg anyone?

Post by JBMoore »

There is always a Hatz at Blakesburg; whether it's a plane, Lyman, Alan or Cliff, someone will be there to talk Hatz. Ron Sieck from just up the road usually attends and Jim Wright and I plan on being there over the weekend.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
WacoJoe

Post by WacoJoe »

I'll be there with the Waco, as per usual!
Cheers!

Joe

lwuest

Post by lwuest »

Hello All,

A friend and myself are planning to fly down either late Thursday or early Friday, and staying through the weekend. The Snooty Hatz has been running well and should be in attendance.

Looking forward to it,
Luke
jdgleitz

Post by jdgleitz »

I'll be there in the Luscombe. Is there a Hatz gathering or forum scheduled yet?

JD Gleitz
JD Gleitz
HC-129
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

Did anyone go? How about a report with pictures, please. Paaleeeeeezzzzze. I missed out so I am feeling the need to live vicariously through my Hatz friends.

Thank you

Bill
dougm

Post by dougm »

How about someone posting some pictures in the photo gallery?

Which reminds me, I should probably post some pics from Brodhead... :oops:
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
lwuest

Post by lwuest »

Hi Guys,

Blakesburg was very fine as always. Lots of great folks and antiques. I counted at least seven hatz's (sic). The long haul award goes to Mark Lightsey, all the way from Flabob, CA with his O-290 powered CB1. It is a beautiful airplane with many neat feature packed into a Cub style cowling, very fine craftmanship.

Strong winds had us at 45 mph on the way down from OSH and when we arrived overhead Antique Airfield it had a big X on each end of the runway, crosswinds to 35 kts. Not a problem, Ottumwa is just 10 miles east and The Tulsa bunch came to our rescue with Kevin Conners providing the taxi service (thanks again guys). First time anyone could remember the Taylors closing the runway, but they made the right call, with everyones safety in mind.

Saturday dawned with perfect weather and I think every aircraft in attendance went up for a ride or two. We flew the hatz twice that day and it was perfect weather,sunny, cool, and not a bump to be found. there were three hot air balloons floating several mile east of the airfield and they made a great back drop for a beatiful evening of flying. Blakesburg is a fairly rural area and the night stars are worth the trip alone. We camped under the wing and enjoyed a couple of beers at the Pilots Pub, then just enjoyed some fine conversation under the heavens.

Sunday morning is mass exudes, we hung around until mid afternoon and enjoyed the even more relaxed pace. For once we even had a tailwind heading home.

I think this is my favorite event, the entire program for the week is on one 8x10 sheet of paper and we still do not have enough time. I always go with no agenda and it still goes screaming by, we talk to a few friends and all of a sudden it is time to head home. Next year I have to get there earlier.

Much fun, pictures to follow,
Luke
WacoJoe

Post by WacoJoe »

Lots of pictures posted on the AAA/AMP website - www.antiqueairfield.com. Check 'em out!
Cheers!

Joe

JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Luke pretty well summed it up: WINDY on Friday, EXCELLENT on Saturday and a mass exit on Sunday.
Four of us set out Friday at 8:30 am from central Indiana with expectations of arriving in the early afternoon. We finally made it to Ottumwa at 7:30 pm, totally beat, so we found a motel room and got some rest. Made the 10 minute flight on Saturday morning with no problems.
Got to see Mark's O-290-3 Lycoming powered CB-1. Very fine workmanship. Dark green and silver with orange trim. Duing the Hatz Forum he enlightened us on what it takes to travel from Riverside, CA to Blakesburg in 1-1/2 hour legs... quite a story. Hopefuly he will chronical the journey and send it to the newsletter editor.
The usuals were there, Lyman, Clifford, Tiny, Kevin Connor, Ron Sieck, Luke, Mark Lightsey and Jim Hammond along with myself. I have probably left out a few names of which I appologize.
Lots of good flying and a very good showing from the Fairchild groups that brought some beautiful aircraft.
Looking forward to next year.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.