Latest Issue of Kitplane Magazine

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other forums.
JBMoore

Latest Issue of Kitplane Magazine

Post by JBMoore »

I was thumbing through the latest issue of Kitplane Magazine and found an article on how to choose the engine for your home built. Low and behold, midway through the article I saw a picture of my Hatz LB-1 tied down at Oshkosh! Cool, I'll read what he had to say. I found out, according to this author, I've done everything wrong in choosing my engine and now the whole world knows about it. He poo-pooed my choice of the O-290 as being too heavy and obsolete for the added 13 horsepower and if you turn the page you'll find I committed a cardinal sin by choosing the O-290-G! Gads, I hope I'll still be accepted at Broadhead or will I need to sneak in under the cover of darkness? ( which I've already done a couple of times)

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Re: Latest Issue of Kitplane Magazine

Post by mtaylor »

I'm curious how many airplanes the author has built from scratch?Remember what they say about opinions?They're like hemmoroids...sooner or later every @$$!^ole gets one. Fly proud Jeff. You've got a very nice and dependable Biplane!
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Another thought, Jeff...We know how meticulous of a builder you are and it's fer sure you knew the aspects of the 0-290G before you bolted it on. So there!
kconner

Post by kconner »

Hey Jeff,

I guess I'm going to commit the same dumb error by puttin an 0-290 on my Hatz. Did this geniuos offer a better alternative for the Hatz? In my thoughtless and inexperienced estimation the Lycoming is still a bulletproof design that has provided countless trouble free hours for many homebuilders. You hang it on the front of a Hatz Biplane and have years of fun flying and can take it anywhere and afford to operate it on a workin mans pay. Some of these experts just don't get it. I'd rather be a happy dummy.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

The article centered around the O-320 because, in his opinion, it is readily available, proven, parts are available etc. He mentioned the O-235 in his comparison to my O-290.....
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
dougm

Post by dougm »

He also states:
"If you are looking at a Hatz Classic, the only recommended engine is the O-320, so your choice is merely between the 150- or the 160-horsepower versions"

This is not true as the plans were updated some time ago to also include the Rotec R3600.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Hey Jeff, who's the author?
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Dave Prizio....
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Never heard of him...
painless

Post by painless »

Saw that article as well. My first thought was, the airplane made it to Oshkosh, for cry'n out loud! Also I wondered if the author took into consideration that just maybe this particular engine was available at the time, and at the right price.

I had a chance to look your airplane over at OSH. Very nice job!

Course, I'da put a different engine in it...... :lol:
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients