N-number registration

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit in the other forums.
rupertjl

N-number registration

Post by rupertjl »

I just reserved the N-number I would like for my Hatz Classic and wanted to make sure I understood the FARs for markings. I chose to use a 3 letter number and 2 letter identifier but I would like to add the "X" into the N-number. According to FAR 45.22, I think I'm allowed to add the "X" to any registration number given to me because the Hatz is experimental and follows a design that is 30 years old or greater.

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks!
Jud
JBMoore

Re: N-number registration

Post by JBMoore »

You are correct. When you receive your official registration paperwork, the X won't be on it so don't worry. Also, using X in the registration number allows you to not have to put the word EXPERIMENTAL at each entrance.

Jeff Moore.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Re: N-number registration

Post by mtaylor »

The key is to use "NX" number on the aircraft, but nowhere else. Not on any FAA paperwork. It screws up the works for the FAA if NX shows up on their paperwork (even flight plans). Put it on the airplane and then act like it doesn't exist. If an inspector has a problem with it, tell him to "look it up!". It's legal and, as said before, eliminates the big EXPERIMENTAL flag on your nice interior.