VR3 kits

A forum to discuss resources, suppliers, tips, and general information common to two or more of the biplanes.
HC85

VR3 kits

Post by HC85 »

Hello,

VR3 fuselage, tail, and landing gear kits are now available. Mine was delivered last Friday. Very nice!

Google VR3 for info. Don VanRaay is very good to work with.

They offer the kits ready to weld or welded.

To my knowledge, they delivered three kits so far, and had one more ready to ship.

I know to the "purist" these kits may be cheating, but I need all the help I can get!

Rick
orchardair

Re: VR3 kits

Post by orchardair »

Their website http://vr3.ca/ does not list tha Hatz or any derivative as a model they support, so this is good to know!
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Thanks orchardair!

I should have included the web site...I'm not too swift sometimes! Yes the VR3 site is a little out of date.

I should note that VR3 did all the cad work and production on the kits without me having to give them a dime...... they didn't want any payments until the kits were ready to go. I thought that was really great. I can't say enough about how good they were to work with.

Rick
HC85
cfrasers

Post by cfrasers »

I can also recommend VR3, they are very good to deal with.
My kit was delivered on 28 November. Was in Australia 3 days after VR3 notified me that it had been shipped.
All nicely packed up.
Cheers
Fraser
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Congrats on your kit Fraser!

Please email me at rfs1260@yahoo.com
You could call also, but that would be rather expensive probably! My cell is 937-728-1028.
I have some information on our kits you may find useful / interesting.

Rick
HC85
1964m20e

Post by 1964m20e »

How much was the tube kit from VR3?
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Hello, I would call VR3 to find out what the current prices are for sure. I took delivery of one of the first kits. The price may come down if more are sold??

Anyway, I purchased all kits they offered for the plane in un-welded form..

1. Fuselage - Includes seat frame tubes formed. (Does not include items for turtle back, headrest or belly "rounding" stringers framework, or control system.) $4,520.00 un-welded. The price welded was quoted as $13,560.00.

2. Empennage - $2340.00 un-welded. Welded was quoted as 5,850.00.

3. Landing Gear - 1,480.00 un-welded. Welded quoted as 3,850.00. They offer both versions, long for the Rotec version on the plans, short for the flat engine version on the plans.

Total non-welded kit : $8,340.00

I have not started welding mine yet as I am finishing up on the lower wings still. The inventory of the kits received indicated high quality throughout. Looking forward to sticking it together soon.

The price may seem high at first, but raw tubes and metal ain't that cheap anymore. For me, it was worth the price, especially with all the flat sheet parts included.

Best regards,

Rick (HC85)
1964m20e

Post by 1964m20e »

thanks

You are right not all that expensive and the fact that all the fitting is done setup the jig and start welding.
Closterman

Post by Closterman »

I'm very interressed about the VR3 kit ! Someone did the calcul of the raw material price ? I think we can save a lot of time, but also and more important a better precision.

For those who have already make the fuselage "by hand" how much time you have spend in cutting/mesuring. I guess you have scrapped some material too because ofmistake or bad measure.

I have contacted VR3 for a quote, but no answer for now.