Gusset Grain

A forum to discuss resources, suppliers, tips, and general information common to two or more of the biplanes.
David Adam

Gusset Grain

Post by David Adam »

Sorry to hit you guys up with what should be a simple question. I'm getting ready to cut out gussets for my ribs but I can't find where it states which direction the face grain goes. Is it lengthwise, vertical, or does it not matter? AC43.13 states to have the face grain run in the same direction as the structural member that you are reinforcing in a repair (splice), but this wouldn't be a splice, it's a gusset to join intersecting structural members, all with different grain directions. AC43.13 goes on to say to replace rib gussets with the face grain oriented in the same direction as the original manufacturer, that doesn't help either.

Does anyone know which direction the face grain goes on a gusset? Does anyone know if any of the wood rib homebuilts plans state which direction the face grain is supposed to go?

Thanks in advance.
JBMoore

Re: Gusset Grain

Post by JBMoore »

I ran mine lengthwise.
Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
orchardair

Re: Gusset Grain

Post by orchardair »

To add to the confusion, look at gusset #3 in the classic plans on sheet #02:
The top part of the sheet shows the full size rib (2,3,4,5,6), and the gusset has one direction of grain, while on the bottom of the same sheet, on the plan for rib #10, the grain direction for the same gusset #3 is shown perpendicular.
The drawing showing that gusset in full size shows the grain direction as it is depicted in the #10 rib plan.
Go figure.

I read a Tony Bingelis article about the grain orientation of gussets ( from the EAA publication: Aircraft Building Techniques: WOOD), on page 93 Tony says:
"The direction of grain of the outer surfaces of the plywood is very important in some locations and relatively unimportant elsewhere. If your plans indicate a specific direction for the grain, by all means comply. If no grain orientation is shown on the drawing, you may assume that the option is yours".

Great, thanks a lot! :roll:
Hatz Classic plans# 136