Source for a cabin cover?

A forum to discuss resources, suppliers, tips, and general information common to two or more of the biplanes.
rawheels

Source for a cabin cover?

Post by rawheels »

Has anyone purchased or made a cabin cover for their plane? I could wait until Oshkosh and have the Bruce or Kennon guys measure the plane for a custom cover, but would like to have something sooner than that. Would something like a UPF-7 cover work?

Ryan
dougm

Re: Source for a cabin cover?

Post by dougm »

I don't know that a UPF-7 cover would work as the width of the fuse, distance between cockpits, and relation of the forward 'pit to the cabanes are different between the Hatz and the UPF-7 (and probably many other bipes as well). I'm sure your not the first Hatz owner to want a cover... I'd give Bruce and Kennon a call and see if they have done them before.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

As a temporary (semi-permanent) solution i used an old rain fly from a two-man back packing tent cut to fit. The sewn-in peak of one end of the fly fit nicely over the front windshield and there was enough stretch in the material to not require resewing. Allowance for the cabanes was reinforced and the aft end was cut to fit about 12" behind the rear pit. The whole thing was held in place with 1" webbing and plastic backpack clips that lay flat.

It wouldn't hold up under a Sun & Fun tornedo but I doubt that anything would. It kept the rain out of the interior successfully each of the two days of torrential rain experienced going and coming to OSH. Hope you can find a better color than shown in the picture attached.
DSC00822.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I believe John Hanson made his own custom cover with snaps.

Nick