Source for drag/antidrag wires (tie rods)

A forum to discuss resources, suppliers, tips, and general information common to two or more of the biplanes.
stearmoth

Source for drag/antidrag wires (tie rods)

Post by stearmoth »

Hi everyone,
We think there is no news that we make available our 1/8" light weight tie rods with rolled UNF 10-32 left- and righthand rolled threads. The material used is a AISI 316L stainless steel which meets easily the specs (min. 2100 lbs), what means that they are able to carry the same loads as Bruntons AN 703 round drawn tie rods. A set of 24 pcs. at 40" (AN665 clevis pin to pin) weights almost 3 pounds less that a set comprising of full 3/16" round wire with cut 10-32 threads. We made our own such tie rods for our Vintage Hatz (Classic) and would like to provide this service for others as well.
By coincidence we found an old ad in a 1929 Aero Digest magazine by the then Steward Hartshorn firm (New York), who manufactured just then what we have released nowadays.... See pictures and ad included.
Please ask for a quotation at hans.u@aeroplaneworks.ch. We can make lenghts up to 50" by the way.

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
hartshorn_1.JPG
P1050171-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orchardair

Re: Source for drag/antidrag wires (tie rods)

Post by orchardair »

Hans and Sam,
In another thread the topic of cabane fork terminals has come up, and I am wondering if you are still offering both the forks (a set of 6) and the drag/anti-drag wires (set of 24) for a hatz classic ? If so, what do you think the cost (+ shipping to Oregon ) would be.
Feel free to contact me privately if you prefer.
Thanks,
Amit.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi everyone,

We make a new run for drag/antidrag wires during sometime within the next 2 months. If anybody is interested to order a set.
Details to hans.u@aeroplaneworks.ch

Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I received my Drag / Anti Drag wires from Hans and Sam a few weeks ago and could not be happier with them. The quality is excellent as are the threads on the ends. I had made up some temporary wires to use during assembly and I could not have created anything this nice. It will be a shame to close them up in the wing but a surprise for the next lucky owner who goes to recover her. Long after I am gone I hope.
Thanks Hans and Sam, now at least part of my Hatz looks as nice as yours. :D

-Ed
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Dear Ed,

We are very glad to hear that you are more than satisfied with our drag/antidrag wires. Thank you very much for your nice comments!
We wish you happy building your own Hatz, which will yield in another beauty for sure!

Kind regards
imacfii

Post by imacfii »

Hi Everyone,
Streamline Flying Wire and Tie Rods

Vintage Aero is a small company in New Zealand which has been making flying wires and tie rods since 2006. We have made many tail brace wires for Skybolts, Bearhawks, Austers, etc and can supply Streamline Wires and Tie Rods to AN and AGS specs as well as metric specs.
Our website is www.vintageaero.com. Its not a wonderful website, but we hope to improve it soon.
Best Regards,

Russ Ward
imacfii

Post by imacfii »

or reply direct to russward@hotmail.com
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi all Hatz builders,

As you may know, we made our own drag/antidrag wires (tie rods) for our Vintage Hatz and also made some sets for other builders. Details about those wires you see earlier on this thread.
Right know we have one builder who is interested in a set, but due to lack of stock we would need to run a next production in order to hold the latest price, which is CHF 640.00 (less clevis parts).
a run of 6 sets would ne needed, hence we are looking for other builders, who might be intersted. Also other lenghts 8 e.g. for other homebuilts) with UNF 10-32 threaded ends would be welcome.
We would enjoy hearing from some interessants.

Kind regards
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Hatz builders,
You may know about the possibility to buy leightweight stainless square drag/antidrag wires (less clevises) from us. As at this moment we have a serious requst for two sets, but will need at least 6 sets to make worth the changement of the rolling device, I am spreading the words if there is additional interest for a Hatz tie rod set this time. Prices are still CHF 640.00 plus CHF 80.00 for shipping.
Any replies to hans.u@aeroplaneworks.ch

Kind regards