landing gear springs

A forum to discuss resources, suppliers, tips, and general information common to two or more of the biplanes.
wassbiplane

landing gear springs

Post by wassbiplane »

Die springs available at http://www.travers.com---on sale now-Aug 2011 Jerry
Al Hatz

Re: landing gear springs

Post by Al Hatz »

Link isn't working.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I used http://www.travers.com and it got me to their home page.
You'll need to search for the springs from there.
Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
stanh

Post by stanh »

I just pulled the site up and was looking at the springs -- has anyone use these on a landing gear design? If so, would you mind sharing some information of your experience doing so? Which one did you select, etc.

Thanks, Stan
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

The die springs we used on our Classic are Traverse P/N 79-322-436 2.00 x 6.00 Yellow X-HVY.
John Hanson HC-012.
stanh

Post by stanh »

John,
Appreciate your input -- I have been looking at springs trying to decide. My plane is a Kelly, but for this purpose would be the same as the Classic -- I'm not installing the Kelly design on the gear, but a design very similar to the Classic design. I've considered that one, but have been told that I should use a die spring stouter than that one -- that it's too soft. How has it performed for you on the Classic -- are you pleased with it? I would like some give and I think that your selection would give that.

Stan
dougm

Post by dougm »

stanh wrote:John,
I've considered that one, but have been told that I should use a die spring stouter than that one -- that it's too soft. How has it performed for you on the Classic -- are you pleased with it? I would like some give and I think that your selection would give that.
Stan
Where did you hear that the Classic spring is "too soft"? The gross weight for the Classic is 1700lbs. I don't know the numbers for the Kelly-D, but I imagine the GW is less than the Classic.

The specifications for the springs on the Classic plans is:
6.0" long x 2.0" O.D. x 1.0" I.D. 2593lbs. "Yellow"

This equates to the Aircraft Spruce part number: 06-13200
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/l ... absorb.php

They can also be found at places like McMaster-Carr and other supply houses.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

We have had no problems with the yellow springs. From looking at the paint scrape marks on the struts I doubt if they have compressed more than 1/4 inch and there have been some landings on rough fields. These were the springs recommended by Jeff Shoemake.
John Hanson
stanh

Post by stanh »

Doug and John,

The Kelly's gross weight is 1600 lbs -- so for all practical purposed on the gear spring, I think it should be the same. So that's what I'm ordering for the plane. I appreciate you guys comments -- needed that information to make a decision.

Thanks,
Stan