Landing Gear V-Support Question

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Jackal

Landing Gear V-Support Question

Post by Jackal »

In building the "V" to which the spring struts attach to shown on P. 13 with a detail also shown on P. 15:

From the front view it looks like the two tubes come together and meet in a simple V with simple angles cut on the end of each tube. Then the .063 plates are welded over this intersection. When looking at the AA section view from the side it shows a circle up in the top of the area between the .063 plates. What is this circle? Is it a 1" tube and if so, how is it joined to the two primary "V" tubes? Also it shows 1" clear inside area between the .063 plats, but the two main tubes are only 7/8 tubing, so where does the other 1/8" come from that keeps puts these inside plates 1" apart?

Generally the drawing make sense to me, but this doesn't.

While on the landing gear topic, it seems to me the ends of the main V tubes discussed above need to be cut at a 5 degree angle so they will stay in line with the main gear legs, which show a 5 degree angle, keeping them "pointing straight down" as the lower longeron bends up 5 degrees in this area. The ends of these main V tubes discussed above are not shown on the plans, as far as I have found, so it does not show this needed 5 degree end angle.

I think some people don't bend the lower longeron up until at the station 11, instead of at station 10 as shown in the plans, and this would eliminate the 5 degree angle in both the case of the main gear leg and the "V tube" discussed here.