Painting My CB-1

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
kconner

Painting My CB-1

Post by kconner »

I started the painting process back in April and I'm still not done. This idea of if you don't succeed, try and try again should be revised and say try,try try, and try some more. I've been full circle now learning to paint but I think I'm nearing the end. My first attempts resulted in bad orange peel because I was applying too much paint and not enough thinner. Second attempt I doubled the amount of thinner but still applied too much paint. Mark Lightsy finally convinced me to hang the wings vertically and spray light coats. So hung the rudder, sprayed it with 3 light passes and WHOA! That looks good. The rest of the tailfeathers and ailerons turned out nice. Understanding the proper technique, I hung the wings and sprayed them and got good results. The orange peel problems happened when I sprayed the fuselage and center section. I tore the fabric off and recovered both. I sprayed the fuselage and the paint went on nice and flat but has an unacceptable amount of lint and trash so I'm moving it to a friends commercial paint booth where I will do some light sanding and re-spray it. I believe dust is being pulled into the spray pattern as a result of static build-up when the paint leaves the tip. It seems I didn't have as much trouble with trash spraying in warmer temps and more humidity. I hope to start final assembly soon and be ready to fly by spring. I still love working on the Hatz. Will post some pictures soon.

Kevin Conner