Center section trailing edge

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
danjquinn

Center section trailing edge

Post by danjquinn »

Ok gang I have my fixture built to form the trailing edge for the center section and also have the 1/8" material to size. Couldn't find much on here for help so I thought I would post to get some input. What is the best way to form these strips. I assume I will need to steam them and then clamp them into the fixture. How did some of you guys go about it?
Thanks
Dan
Bitshifter

Re: Center section trailing edge

Post by Bitshifter »

I have some info on my site as to how I did my classic. I can only assume that the CB1 is similar.
http://www.edwinwhite.com/gallery/album52
Clicking on the thumbnail will open the image and clicking that will show the full size image.

Hope that helps.
Ed White
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
danjquinn

Post by danjquinn »

Ed, Thanks for the response. The photos on your site are a big help.
Dan
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

with the 1/8" strips, there's no need to steam them to bend to the gentle curve of the C section T E. I built a jig on a large square of 3/4" ply with pine blocks and just glued up all the surfaces of the strips with T88 and clamped them in place. took a hand held belt sander to it when it was set up and rough shaped it good enough to glue it in place on the C section, then finished the shaping with the belt sander.
painless

Post by painless »

+1 not needing to steam the 1/8" strips. I used Titebond III for mine tho. Sands/shapes nice. I used it for my wingtip bows as well.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
danjquinn

Post by danjquinn »

Thanks for the input