Flying Wire Lug Dimension

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Jackal

Flying Wire Lug Dimension

Post by Jackal »

The flying wire lugs are indicated as FS (Full Size) and most of the dimensions printed on them match up, or at least very close. The exception is the spacing on the lug that holds the dual parallel rear flying wires. The spacing is indicated as "one inch" but it clearly measures 3/4" if measuring the drawing. My thought is that the drawing is correct but the wrong dimension was written on it. My concern is that if it is supposed to be one inch perhaps the parallel flying wires will contact each other. On that note: The parallel flying wires have the rear landing wire passing between them at the point of the "javelin". Even with one inch spacing I see no way the landing wire is going to pass through them without touching (unless these flying wires are a lot narrower than I'm envisioning - I don't have them yet.) Is the javelin used to "spread" these wires apart a little bit, in other words, do these dual flying wires don't run perfectly straight between the top lug and bottom lug??
M Lightsey

Re: Flying Wire Lug Dimension

Post by M Lightsey »

The wires should be parallel, so the dimensions should be the same for the upper and lower lugs.
The javelin keeps the wires from vibrating but isn't used to "bend" the wires for clearance.
Jackal

Re: Flying Wire Lug Dimension

Post by Jackal »

OK Thanks. That makes sense.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if 1" between the wire pin centers is correct as written on the plans or if 3/4" is correct as is shown by measuring the full-size drawing?

Another way to sort it out would be to know how wide the 1/4" flying wires actually are. I was thinking that 1/4" meant the thread size, but not necessarily the width, or thickness of the wires. If I knew how wide these wires are, and how wide the landing wire that goes between them was, I could figure what the required pin spacing was.