CB-1 aileron

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Sarpy Sam

CB-1 aileron

Post by Sarpy Sam »

Gents: I'm rebuilding a groundlooped Hatz which necessitates building all four wings from scratch. The plans and the original have the ailerons extending and intersecting the tip bow profile. The narrow end of that aileron wobbling in the tip turbulence concerns me. What if I tied the #10 rib tail to the tip bow and chopped the outside end of the aileron off? I would square it and the profile would than match the #10 rib and tip. I guess we'd lose a bit of aileron surface area but with four ailerons what the heck????

Any ideas? Is this plausible?

Sarpy Sam
alvinsager

Re: CB-1 aileron

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Sam,
I did just that, but I also changed lots more. It will be some time until I know how it turns out. I eliminated the ailerons on the top wings and increased the chord and length of the ailerons on the lower wings. I also hinged the ailerons at the bottom similar to a Frise type aileron. This works very nicely on my Cygnet.
If going with the original setup, you may want to seal the aileron gap to increase effectiveness.
Good luck,
Al
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I did that also.
Attached is a picture of my wings. I just made the aileron/wing tip the same shape as original.

Jeff Moore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Sarpy Sam

Post by Sarpy Sam »

Thanks Jeff for the pics and the input. I sure think I feel better about it even though technically there absolutely nothing wrong with the plans airplane! I've already got another full sized rib in the jig to replace #10. I'll use the original on another wing ahead of the aileron there.

Sarpy Sam