Spar fittings

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
danjquinn

Spar fittings

Post by danjquinn »

I have started laying out my spars for drilling and I noticed something I had not noticed before. On the spars for the lower wings, the compression tube that holds the aileron bell crank attaches differently on the rear spar than it does on the front spar. If I am seeing this correctly it attaches with the 7/8" strap welded to it on the front spar. My print clearly shows the 2- 1/4" holes spaced at 1 1/2" drilled through the front spar for the strap that the drag wires attach to but on the rear spar it appears that the strap should have a 5/16" hole through it and be attached between the threaded button on the end of the compression tube and the rear spar fitting.I drilled all the straps that attach 2 drag wires for the 2 - 1/4" holes. I did some looking on the photos Bill Rusk took of Rick Hanson's Hatz and there is a pretty clear photo of this. It appears Rick welded the strap to the threaded button that also welds into the compression tube. It also looks like he may have welded the 1/4" holes closed. I have already made the bell cranks, the compression tubes and I welded the threaded button in the end that attaches to the rear spar. I did not finish the end that attaches to the front spar and left the tube long to trim to final dimension. I made the straps out of .090 as per plans and am now wondering if the additional thickness of the strap will throw anything else off. It would move the bell crank forward .090. Would this hurt anything? I hope this makes sense and I am wondering what everyone else did. I think what I am seeing is correct but would like to have some input rather than make a serious blunder.
Thanks
Dan