piano hinge

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
danjquinn

piano hinge

Post by danjquinn »

I am thinking of using the piano hinge setup for my ailerons on the CB-1. Somewhere I read that the angle where the aileron is cut off has to change to allow for the screw heads that attach the piano hinge so it will still have full travel. Am i remembering this correctly? Now I can't seem to find where I read this. I have looked here and in the past newsletters. Anyone done this on a CB-1? What angle did you use or could someone point me to the article where I read this?
Thanks
Dan
hreilly

Re: piano hinge

Post by hreilly »

Hi Dan,
I used piano hinge on my CB-1, I'm very happy with the effectiveness of the ailerons. I didn't change any of the spar angles, just had to reduce the gap between the false and aileron spars due to piano hinges being thinner than the welded hinges. I also used pan head screws that are staggered from false spar to aileron spar, so the screw heads don't hit each other at full down deflection.
Happy building, Herb, Sn-400.
danjquinn

Post by danjquinn »

Thanks Herb
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Howdy Dan! I wrote a short piece on how I slightly angled the aileron false spar so as to get more aileron throw. I did this only to increase aileron throw, not because using piano hinge neccesitated it. Herb is correct that you need to offset the pan head bolts so that they don't rest one upon the other in full down position.

Happy Hatzin!