New Builder / Old Project

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
oroberts-day

New Builder / Old Project

Post by oroberts-day »

Hello all! My name is Owen, and I'm here in Lincoln, NE. I just picked up a fuselage project from Rick Shultz, one that has had a couple of owners previously. Excited to start throwing wing ribs together with my brothers and a cousin (2nd cousin? I forget how it works. He's my mom's cousin) that I think one or two of you may know: John Tiffany, out of Iowa City?

Anyway, a couple of questions I had:

1) I see on the Classic thread that there are CAD files for a lot of pieces. I was hoping to CNC the nose pieces for my ribs; has anyone drawn those up for the CB1 rib?

2) Did most of you follow the plans and use a spruce wedge between capstrip pieces at the rear end of the ribs, or did you use plywood? What are the pros/cons there? I'm assuming more expensive, less time, to use the ply?

3) A modification that the original builder of the fuselage made was to locate the tailwheel ahead of the rudder post, on a trunion, like a Stearman or a Waco RNF. My plan was to set up the steering with separate housed cable, as in those larger planes. Any thoughts/experience with such a rig?

4) Anyone working on a plane anywhere close to me that would be willing to let me stop by and take a look at some point?

Thanks, and have a great one.

Owen