Hatz Classic Plans Discrepancies

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
hatzadmin
Site Admin

Hatz Classic Plans Discrepancies

Post by hatzadmin »

Below are some of the Hatz Classic Plans discrepancies taken from the archives. Please feel free to add to this thread as necessary.

From Jeff Cattrell:

Spar Fittings:
Sheet #06
Center Section Fitting FSTW1 and RSTW1, the dimensions from the end of the spar should be 1" instead of 3/4" as shown. These are meant to be measured from the 1/4" end rib. This is noted on another sheet but not this one.

Sheet #09
The fitting on the root end of the rear spar is shown to be located with the holes 3/4" off of the bottom of the spar, this dimension should be 1". If left at 3/4" the wing will not line up with the center section.

Ribs / Spar Taper
The spar tapers I used do not match the ones shown on the plans, I couldn't get the #10 rib to work with the tapers that they showed.

Aileron Spar
Sheet #07
The aileron spar dimensions are wrong, the taper as shown will put the aileron in a bind. I made mine from several pictures of completed planes and it seemed to work well. I will try to post some dimensions of what I used.

Aileron Spar:
On sheet 7 of the plans the dimensions for the aileron don't quite work out right.
I used the following:
Center of the tip...3/4" down from the top
tip width is still 3/4"...I made mine a slight bit wider to sand down to the wingtip...
Top taper starts 7 3/4" in from tip
Bottom taper starts 21 1/4" from the tip.
these dimensions worked great into my tips and the aileron can use almost a full length hinge with no bend....
Hatz Webmaster
Nick

Re: Hatz Classic Plans Discrepancies

Post by Nick »

Just noted this today.
Trim tab dimension error: There is a trim tab detail which shows the trim tab at 1/2" scale. The measurements are all wrong on that detail, don't use it. It looks like he drew the detail to double scale from the rest of the page but dimensioned based on 1/4" scale.

Nick
dougm

Post by dougm »

Aileron Idler Brace/Bracket. This is a support piece for the compression tube that the Aileron Idler is attached to. It was left off the plans but appears on a couple photos on the Makelan CD.

Please see the following post for details:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=364
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Center section sheet 3 on the left side, the nose ribs have a notch to sit on the base of the center section. The nose rib drawing does not have a notch (the tail pieces do). You have to make that notch.
John Cronin
HC 149
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Sheet 5 calls for 8 of part 5 (PEM), but looks like you would need 10. The PEM part number is S-0524-2 (zinc plated), NOT S-0528-2 as printed on the plans. Sold at McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#pem-style-nuts/=lvq5xp
John Cronin
HC 149
TangoWhiskey

Post by TangoWhiskey »

Wingspan is depicted as 25', but actually measures out closer to 26' in the finished build.

Discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=475
Troy W. - Fort Worth TX - Hatz Classic 142
"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?!" - Seal, Crazy, 1990
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

The roll wire lug/fitting is depicted in several sheets:
23, 23R, 15 and 12. The correct depiction is in sheet 12 (IMHO).

More Discrepancies between sheets 23(R) and 12 are regarding the "disks" that are welded on to the lower corners of the fuselage front end (station 0-5), directly on to the rectangular gussets:
Sheet 23 mentions a thickness of 0.090" (zone D-2), sheet 12 specifies a 0.125" thickness for this part (zone D-1). Since the roll wire fitting is 0.125" thick, and is a similar spacer between the firewall and the fuselage, I expect 0.125" is the correct thickness to use.

Details A and B on sheet 23 have some wrong dimensions on them. I suspect all dimensions need to be divided by 3, for example where the sheet specifies a 4.5" measurement, it is actually 1.5". I base this on the fact that these details are 3:4 scale.

On sheet 12, the "Full Scale" depiction of the trim handle pivot is actually larger than full size. the dimensions are probably right, but the drawing is too large.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
BravoCharleyWindsor

Post by BravoCharleyWindsor »

Would a set of plans purchased now be revised to correct these discrepancies?
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

You would think so but I doubt it.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

On sheet 19, part #BRKPED1 lists 2 required and #BRKPED2 lists 6 but the quanities are reversed.
Last edited by Bitshifter on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"