Anyone using a Glass display ....

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
womenfly2

Re: Anyone using a Glass display ....

Post by womenfly2 »

Great replies here everyone. Seems your a purest or your not, as with the Pietenpol group. The Piet I build was a pure 1930 airplane down to the Model-A engine and not really a X-country plane. I would like the Hatz's to be more then an around the patch flier. Would love to take her to the Hatz fly-in in Brodhead, coming from New Hampshire.

I like the idea of the Garmin with a cover while on the ground as Rawheels suggested. But then Doug has a very valid point of added weight, be very interested in the final weight penalty the install would add.

So, to me looks like 3 choices to think about; 1. A pure 1930's cockpit. 2. A modern Glass screen. 3. A pure 1930's cockpit with a hand-held GPS.

Question: If going the route of using a hand-held GPS, what would be the closest to the Garmin, as possible, to use? What hand-held GPS are you using?

Bill, where can I look at the pictures you posted on the Midwest Regional ... link?
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

Web site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol Plan Packages
Picture site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol
dougm

Post by dougm »

Bill's pics from Brodhead are in the "Gatherings of the Gaggle" section... or click here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=232&start=20

Also, Mark Marino has a glass panel in his Hatz Bantam. Pics can be seen here:
http://www.hatzbantam.com/bantam%20gallery%203.htm
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
dougm

Post by dougm »

One other thing to consider, if using multi-probe CHT/EGT is the ability of the device to handle 9 cylinders (since you are planning on using the Rotec). In the case of an EFIS, I'm sure it can be programmed to handle it, but you should still ask the question. Similar issue for the tach. which needs to recognize 4.5 pulses as one revolution for the Rotec.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

Good points Doug. Does a standard needle tach work with the R3600 do to the gear reduction?
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

dougm

Post by dougm »

When I talked to the Rotec guys they indicated that the engine is designed for an electronic tach... i.e. no provision for a traditional mechanical tach cable. They have a tach they recommend, but I don't care for its appearance as it is rather automotive looking. Last year @ OSH I talked to the folks @ UMA instruments and they said they could provide an analog (needle) tach with electronic hookup that could recognize the required 4.5 pulses/revolution so for me it shouldn't be an issue.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

Doug, I used VDO gauges in my Piet. VDO recalibrate the Tach for me to read 1x the RPM of the Model-A and a new faceplate so the needle was at the top of the gauge. Since the Model-A only turned 1800 RPM at cruise, the stock needle only move very little at x100. Great company to work with. Do not mention airplane use! ;)

VDO Gauges: http://www.vdo-gauges.com/

Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Keri-Ann,

I have been using an Ipad II running Foreflight for my portable GPS. I sold my Garming 295 and paid for half the Ipad ($600). I have been very pleased with it so far using it in my Cessna 170. I know the Hatz will be a little more cramped but I've been using a kneepad type mount for it. I feel its the most bang for the buck in the handheld world and when you're done with it using it as a GPS, you still have an Ipad you can take home and use.

v/r,
Jud
dougm

Post by dougm »

Jud showed me his Foreflight app a while back... very slick. I'm seriously thinking about it myself.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I used the garmin 296 for the cross country flight from Logan UT ot OSH last summer. The included clamp device attached easily to tube structure and stayed below the coaming for easy viewing.

Westech did my tach and programed for 9 cylinder ignition; divide by 4.5 if memory serves.

John
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I got the following E-Mail from UMA;

The tach we normally sell for the Rotec 9 cyl engine are Part# 19-51A-40E for the 2 ¼” size and 19-81A-40E for the 3 1/8” size. Both of these are a 0-4000 RPM; 12V square wave, 4.5 pulse/rev. The 3 1/8” Elec. Tach has the built in hourmeter (standard factory setting is at 1800 RPM to record flight time however you can specify any other setting when ordering). The 2 ¼” tach does not have the built in hourmeter however it can operate a remote mounted hourmeter. Both sizes come standard w/ B&W dial but custom silkscreened range markings can be added as an option. The ones be have on file for the Rotec is: GreenArc 500-3500, Yellow Arc 3500-3700 & RedLine@3700 RPM. Your cost for the 2 ¼” size w/ B&W dial is $180.00 usd ea ($235.00 w/ colored markings) and for the 3 1/8” size w/ hourmeter list price for B&W dial is $291.00 usd ($336.00 w/ colored markings).
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"