Anyone using a Glass display ....

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Re: Anyone using a Glass display ....

Post by mmarien »

Good to know Ed. I personally like the idea of minimal authentic gas gauges rather than a glass panel. I have a Glasair with a Dynon Skyview that gets me xcountry. The Hatz will be my barnstormer. I'll probably never go beyond my comfort zone so never need more than pilotage to get me there. I fly out of a mode C airspace so been trying to figure out how to hide the radio and xponder.

I haven't done a lot of research but I did find a couple of places that do custom gauges for automobiles. I 'm going to check to see if I can get them to duplicate something like this:
DSCF2301.JPG
with a modern version:
Fast Lane Rod Shop.jpg
Classic_Instr_2015_Calendar_6 (small).jpg
They can probably take any gauge and place it behind a new front with an antique looking dial and lettering. Except for airspeed and an altimeter, the basic engine gauges are the same as automobile gauges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Here is a picture of my panel using a Samsung Galaxy tablet running Ifly GPS. It displays weather and traffic through a Stratux which also has AHRS. The Ifly app can do a split screen with the moving map and synthetic vision. It can also display an image from a front mounted WiFi video camera if I decide to go that route. It is easily removable and I think a much cheaper and lighter than a Dynon.
20180209_194708S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
wildhorsesracing

Post by wildhorsesracing »

Bitshifter wrote:Here is a picture of my panel using a Samsung Galaxy tablet running Ifly GPS. It displays weather and traffic through a Stratux which also has AHRS. The Ifly app can do a split screen with the moving map and synthetic vision. It can also display an image from a front mounted WiFi video camera if I decide to go that route. It is easily removable and I think a much cheaper and lighter than a Dynon.
I have to redo my panel and plan to do something similar - I have replaced a few old steam gauges with ones that do double duty so now I have "holes", I had planned to squeeze my iPad mini in the panel somewhere for some x-country travel at 1000' AGL.
-Jim Pantas
N89DG