Anyone using a Glass display ....

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
womenfly2

Anyone using a Glass display ....

Post by womenfly2 »

In some prebuild thinking here, I was looking at the Garmin G3x http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/t ... index.html display to put in the Hatz classic with R3600.

If you are using a glass display, what brand, model, and your overall comments would be helpful.

Blue skies,
Keri-Ann
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

Web site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol Plan Packages
Picture site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol
KDoersom

Re: Anyone using a Glass display ....

Post by KDoersom »

Kerri-Ann
You can't do that. Its like putting Pepsi in a coke machine.

That being said I would think about either that or a dynon if I was going to go that route.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

This is a glass panel in a Cub. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Like a Hatz it can seem out of place but it was great for cross country.

Bill
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

I've seen pictrures of the new Wacos with the glass panels, and it just looks wrong.

I used to work on a Cessna where the owner took a bunch of faceplates off of some old radios and created a cover to go over his nice radios. That way when he parked it on the ramp it looked like there wasn't anything worth stealing inside. You could do something similar with a fake steam gauge panel. That way it looks correct on the ground, but you get the benefits of the glass in the air!
Nick

Post by Nick »

I totally plan to use an EFIS with GPS in my Hatz. My philosophy is that she should look beautiful on the outside and "BE" beautiful on the inside. There is some real beauty in some of the modern technology.

I plan to fly with my kids in this plane and will incorporate anything I think will enhance safety.

That's my $.02 on the matter.

Nick
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I see 2 opinions on the matter:
1st-the Hatz was designed after aircraft of the '30s. State of the art Instrumentation at the time was very basic-airspeed, altitude, tach, oil press./temp, and compass. All steam gauges.That's the way I'm outfitting my Hatz. I like the feel of flying in a vintage like aircraft, looking down and seeing the U.S. as if it were 1932. I decided to go this route after flying Mehlin's Hatz out and around an early '30s Wisconsin countryside a few years ago :D .

2nd- Going cross country is so much nicer/better/easier with new technology. I'll carry a handheld GPS. I call it my fancy compass.

What's fun about Brodhead is seeing the things that people do to thier Hatzes or Kelly D's or Bantams. Innovative individualism is what keeps aviation exciting.
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Gang,

We completely agree with Mark! If we would go really cross country, we would have to build an appropriate fast (and economic, low drag) aircraft. As we want to smell and enjoy the 1930's our Hatz has to have this look also inside. However we also will carry a hand held GPS. :D

Enjoy the 1930's feeling!
Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
dougm

Post by dougm »

This is certainly one of those black or white topics... There's a couple ways to look at this as folks have pointed out, however, if you look at companies like WACO, even early on they strove to use the most advanced technology of the time. They incorporated things like wheel pants & fairings & speed mods, landing lights, flares, etc. so it's not unreasonable to think they would have used an EFIS or GPS if they had one. :D

Personally, I'll be using steam gauges and a hand held GPS in a panel mount. If you want a full blown EFIS, then go for it. The only question I would have (out of pure ignorance on the topic) is weight... when you add up the panel unit, additional boxes required to provide information to the unit, and all the wiring, what is the total weight of all that? Is it an issue? I ask the question as I have no idea myself.

My $.02
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

I did not post the glass panel picture because I necessarily favor it for a Hatz but rather to say ..."Hey its your Hatz, you build it to suit yourself". Whatever works for you. If you look at the report from this years Midwest Regional I posted pictures of every panel from all the Hatz that were there. It is fun and interesting to see what folks do. Every one is different and reflects the individualism of its builder.

Party on Garth......

Bill
dougm

Post by dougm »

Hey Bill, Just out of curiosity, could you lend any insight to the subject of the weight of the units and associated boxes, wires, etc.?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster