HC #93 Update

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
dougm

Re: HC #93 Update

Post by dougm »

Yes you do see a blue cowl. That's not mine. I believe that is Paul's mold for his Kitfox cowl. You'll see it if you scroll through the Rotec website or fb page.

Yes I have a paint scheme selected, but I'm a long way away from revealing it...
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Woha

Post by Woha »

Understood :)
Cheers,
Wojtek
HC164, Poland
dougm

Post by dougm »

Done! On the test stand...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Nice. It's going to be a show stopper ;) I never thought of having the engine painted.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
dougm

Post by dougm »

Yeah, as beautiful as the engine is stock, I couldn't bring myself to put a shiny unpainted engine on the Hatz. I was aiming for a mini-Jacobs and think it went pretty well. The paint color is close, the intake tubes were painted gloss black - not chrome, and the exhaust was changed so the pipes exit straight down and are further apart so it really looks like it belongs on a Waco... or in my case, an F-2 Hatz.

When Paul agreed to paint it he wasn't crazy about the idea mostly because of all the masking (labor) involved and the fact that he hadn't done it before. However, he's been posting pics of it on Facebook, so maybe I changed his mind! :D

I picked up a dishpan from a batch a guy had made for a Warner which is darn close in dimension to the Rotec. I think the dishpan was built for the Fairchild 24 so it's outside diameter is way too big, but cutting it down and putting a new flange on the outside edge shouldn't be a big deal. The key was that the inside diameter was correct to fit inside the exhaust ring.

Time to get my rear in gear!
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
dougm

Post by dougm »

Well the engine arrived yesterday... after several days of Delta Cargo telling me they lost it and that I should file a claim for lost freight.

The crate arrived open and broken... which appears to be how they opened it, but the contents were fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dougm on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Congratulations! Big Day!
speaking of Big, the pictures you uploaded are HUGE (or is it Yoooj?)
I found this nifty site to scale down pictures very easy to use:
https://bulkresizephotos.com

Congratulations again.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
dougm

Post by dougm »

Yeah, I know... I uploaded them from my phone so I didn't bother to change the size first. Just took care of that. Sorry for the giganict photos.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
Woha

Post by Woha »

The most important: engine is fine. Looks awesone!
Best of luck,
Wojtek
What an idiot was opening that crate?
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Looks purty! I have also been a victim of Delta's "positive bag check system"...... Two weeks later they gave me back my lost bag torn to shreds by "evasive" inspection technics. But, at least nothing was missing and they did not blink an eye when I asked for a new bag. They guy at the just counter went back to a storage area and gave me a new bag. Didn't say a word, no sorry bout that, no thank you, no zippo. I hate airlines. ( Long story for another time)

I would imagine that it would be tough for them to have given you a new engine! Glad to hear the jewelry was not damaged! : )