Progress Update

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Re: Progress Update

Post by orchardair »

I'm not sure what stage # I'm in, but I just wanted to add the comment that welding the 0.050 doubler to the 0.090 tube was of course different than to the 0.065 tube.
Do people have any tricks to perfectly align the holes and slots in the two tubes that form the landing gear suspension?

I am talking about the highlighted areas:
slots.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by orchardair on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I had access to an end-mill so that is how I did mine.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

I was almost tempted to invest in an end-mill, and I am sure having access to one is awesome!

Instead I used my drill press, a die-grinder and a file, and a couple of jigs (simple ply wood piece to align the tube perpendicular to the drill press).

Sometimes there is something ridiculously satisfying in making a simple slot in a piece of metal. Especially if you only used hand tools?
DSC_1871.jpg
DSC_1872.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Very nice, especially for using a drill and file. I would never be able to get that close with my drill press.
I thought I was the only one working in flip flops, teaches you to be quick on your feet. :)
Looks good.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Bending 0.125" sheet takes quite a bit of heat (glad I got the #3 tip from the tin man for my Meco), and something to bend against.
The gear leg fitting needs to have an internal opening of 1.125". While a square tube of 1" size is easy to find, a 1.125" one is not.
So for the second bend I just added some 0.125" material, and heated away...
DSC_1965.jpg
Then it's a combination of the die grinder, bench grinder grinding wheel and finally belt sander.
DSC_1966.jpg
Final result:
DSC_1967.jpg
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Looking great ! Keep'em coming! Your photos have helped a ton on my build, thanks for posting!

Rick
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Hi builders!
It's winter, and I needed a relatively small project to get motivated into the build again. I decided to tackle some small parts, and wire lugs seemed to be a good option.
Specifically, I worked on the 2 rear landing wire lugs and 4 front flying wire lugs.
Because all 6 are identical except for the size of the hole drilled in them for the wire hardware, I tried to do this as efficiently as possible:

The parts as I got them from the water jet cutters, after cleaning some surface rust:
DSC_0011.jpg
Set up the internal part and the 7/16" tubing, spaced 2" apart for tack welding:
DSC_0012.jpg
Another view, creative jigging:
DSC_0013.jpg
After tack welding:
DSC_0014.jpg
Now add the wrap-around piece, tack at the tip:
DSC_0016.jpg
(continued in next post)
Hatz Classic plans# 136
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

I used a flat pliers to bend (with heat):
DSC_0018.jpg
Then another tack weld, and continue the bend around the tube:
DSC_0019.jpg
After completely welding around the perimeter, separate the individual parts with a cut off wheel. The 2-inch spacing was good to provide enough heat-sinking, but required extra cuts and a little wasted 7/16" tube. Oh well.
DSC_0021.jpg
All that is left is to ream the tube to 5/16" and drill the hole for the hardware, keeping in mind that two of these require are a different size hole.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

I like the way you have you're vise tied down. Despite the hack job there your pictures give us a heads up on how a lot of the metal work can be done. Keep it coming ;)
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Hi doc, It looks like we are in about the same place, building wise. I just made all those fittings. Of course I did it the "hard way".

I wish I'd seen how you set up production before I made mine!

I ended up cutting my tubes about 1/4 longer than needed, and sticking a bolt in it when I felt my length was too short to avoid "burn away" while welding.

I'm happy that I have been welding for awhile and forming stuff, before attempting to make those! Otherwise I may have invented some new cuss words! But, they were fun, and they all turned out okay in the end doing it the hard way...( which I always seem to find out how to do!)

Thanks for posting your progress , it looks great!

Merry Christmas and Hatzy New Year!

Rick

HC85