Engine Baffle Kit from VAN's Airplane

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Engine Baffle Kit from VAN's Airplane

Post by Ebby »

Once upon a time I read Van's Airplane sold baffle kits for the O-320 and they still do. My question is have any Hatz Classic builders purchased an engine baffle kit from Van's and which kit did you purchase? Or should I say which RV model engine baffle kit can best be adapted to the Hatz Classic sporting an 0-320? I have a paper pattern set I purchased from Van's but think, time wise, it might be better to purchase a prefabbed kit. I'm in the painting process and will be doing firewall forward this summer. I am excited to be closing in on assembly and the test flight program. :D
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
jwhanson

Re: Engine Baffle Kit from VAN's Airplane

Post by jwhanson »

I used a baffle kit from Vans and it was very easy to modify and install. There is some cutting and fitting to do, however the fit around the cylinders and rear of the engine was very good. I have a Lycoming O-320-A2B with the conical mounts. Unfortunately, I can't find the baffle kit receipt anymore so I can't tell you the exact kit that I used. It will save you a lot of time if you can figure out the kit that will fit your engine. I may have ordered the kit for the RV-3.
John Hanson
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

I went back to their website and Vans sells two kits for the O-320. There is a $20 dollar difference in price. I'll hold off for now. Perhaps another builder will chime in. Thanks for your input John.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
painless

Post by painless »

I built/own a 6A with an 0320 E2D. I would think the kit for the RV 6/7/9 0320 would work for you. It fits quite well, the top of the side pieces being the only place where I had to significantly trim to fit my cowl. It has a provision to mount an oil cooler on its backside if you choose not to mount it on your firewall. I modified mine slightly to beef this area up, as guys were experiencing cracks in this area. So far, no problems. You can easily eliminate the provisions for the baffle mounted oil cooler if you wish.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

I plan on mounting the oil cooler on the rear baffle. The RV6 baffle kit looks to be what I need. I figured I would have to do some modification. But hey that's the fun part right? Thank you for your input.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ebby,
I bought the kit from Vans also and figure to mount the cooler at the back as well. Can't remember which model and didn't assemble it yet. Big time saver over the patterns only.
Al
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

I ended up with the paper patterns. A couple hours cutting and tracing patterns on sheet metal. Couple hours cutting the pieces and another hour making bends. Drilling and fitting still to come. It's winter now so good time to finish engine installation. If time is an issue I would definitely by pre-made baffles. Hoping for Spring 2017 first flight.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!