Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
dougm

Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

Post by dougm »

HI Everyone, I've been exploring options for a speedring cowl for my Hatz for the Rotec. I contacted the KC Dawn Patrol a couple years ago and got directed to Airdrome Aeroplanes and then eventually to United Metal Spinning of Kansas City who apparently makes their cowls. After letting this sit on the back burner I finally decided to get back to it and see what it would take. The short answer is; the speedring is very affordable, but the initial tooling costs are steep. The quote I received was $375.00 for the cowl and $3,475.91 for the tooling.

So, my question to the group is: Is anyone interested in a speedring and helping spread out the tooling cost across multiple orders? Future builders would obviously benefit from our initial work. If I did this alone I would be paying $3850.00, but if 1 or 2 others joined in it would start to make it much more reasonable. The quote was for the speedring complete with rolled wire leading edge and folded training edge. It does not include any mounting hardware; that piece we would have to do ourselves.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dougm on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Bitshifter

Re: Speedring Cowl for a Rotec

Post by Bitshifter »

I would be in unless Hans and Sam decide to make some more. I figure that I am 8 to 12 months away from being able to fit it. Even with just the two of us I would be willing to split the cost.
Thanks
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
dougm

Re: Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

Post by dougm »

Ed, that sounds great. Let's see if we can get a couple more. Last time I checked with Hans they did not have enough people... I think he was looking for 6, United Metal Spinning does not have a limit.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
painless

Post by painless »

I'd jump in too Doug, but I'm not sure I'm going with a speed ring just yet. Any cost estimate from Hans if we get enough interest? One thing that would sway me toward Hans' ring us that the mounting engineering/hardware has been completed.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
dougm

Post by dougm »

Hans quoted me 1800 CHF (Swiss Franc) which is about $1850 USD. I understand the desire to have the mounting hardware. Once nice aspect about The United Metal Spinning option is that it is a company that does this full time so they can produce when needed and easily deal with any problems. Hans did a beautiful job and really appreciate his offer to make them, but it is still a private operation and he needs enough to make it worth it for him (6 I believe... which I understand)... he doesn't do this for a living. In the long run (for future builders, not for us) the cost from a domestic source would also be much less.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Shipping to the US from Hans may also big a rather large number for something as big as a speed ring in a crate.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
dougm

Post by dougm »

I agree Ed.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
ssearle

Post by ssearle »

I'm also interested as I will be using a speed ring. I'm tossing around fiberglass option "uhg" or tooling up to make my own "at least 6 months extra work". I know Robert Braslee fairly well and this facility that he uses is a buddy of his and has a horizontal lathe for the spinning. My last project was his 100% Sopwith Camel.

Steve
dougm

Post by dougm »

Steve, saw the pics of your Camel on the Rotec site. Nice job!

Good to know that you have some experience and connection with Airdrome Aeroplanes and United Metal Spinning.

So right now, the math looks like this:

________Cowl__Tooling__Total
1 person: $375 + $3475 = $3850/ea
2 people: $375 + $1738 = $2113/ea
3 people: $375 + $1158 = $1533/ea
4 people: $375 + $869 = $1244/ea

I don't have any info on shipping so keep in mind that the total does not reflect that.

I've emailed Larry at UMSKC to see if there is any chance of a group discount. I'll let you all know what he says.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Oh, it's killing me!

Makes me want to put a Rotec on it again!.... (my first try had one, didn't get it finished)

Agony, sweet agony.