Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
johnkerr

Re: Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

Post by johnkerr »

The notion of some sort of bracket that bridged from collector ring to oil hose or fitting is worth noodling. Maybe taking advantage of the collector ring attach points for primary attachment.
Still exploring and searching other ideas.
How about the total reverse of the H&S approach and have the major bracket attach to the ring and engage the entire head lube system

Again mounting is to me the larger question on this winter project.
HC85

Post by HC85 »

dougm wrote:Well then, remove the agony and go for the Rotec! :D

If we had 5 people the math would be:
________Cowl__Tooling__Total
5 people: $375 + $695 = $1070/ea

just sayin' 8-)

Okay, I'm in.....couldn't stand it. I sold my O-320 and will commit to a speed ring group buy, whichever source.

Rick
dougm

Post by dougm »

Great! I've been trying to get the speed ring drawing done, but the guy has back-burnered me. I'm looking for another CAD person. Hang in there folks. I should have this resolved soon and then I can get back in touch with the company about spinning the rings.

I have some examples of mounting systems. I'll follow up with a separate post here to show those.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

30” diameter, 4” radius, 5” deep $70

34” diameter, 4” radius, 5 ½” deep $80

34” diameter, 8” radius, 10” deep $100

39” diameter, 8” radius, 10” deep $120

42” diameter, 8” radius, 10” deep $150

This is the pricing for "standard" rings from Dick Hartzler. The 34" diameter, 8" radius seems close.

What is the difference? Wire wrapping inner circumference, folding rear edge?
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I used the 34" dia. 4" radius as a cowl for behind the engine and in front of the firewall. My plan was to use the 34" dia. 8" radius as a blank for a bump cowl, pushing it back until the valve covers stuck through the 8" radius. I was then going to make 18 covers that would be the bumps where the valve covers came through. I changed my mind and decided it would be easier to make the bump cowl out of composite but I also toyed with the speed ring idea. I think that the 8" cowl would work as a speed ring but it would need to be cut along the front side and then rolled back. This would be hard but not impossible. The cowl comes rolled from a solid sheet so it looks like a 34" bowl. To be useful the flat section in the center needs to be removed. I made a form and cut and rolled a hole in mine to clear where the engine mount comes through. it took a few days to make a wood form with two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood and a router. To use as a speed ring the section removed would extend into the radius section so the wood form would need to be much bigger.
HatzCowl2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
dougm

Post by dougm »

The rings provided by Dick Hartzler are intended to be used as the front portion of a full cowl, not a speed ring. The shape is very different. As Ed points out, it is probably possible to modify the ring and turn it into a speed ring, but that would require a fair amount of metal working. I don't have those skills and I would like to find a source where we can get consistent copies made. Incidentally, the company that produces Dick's rings is the same one I've been in contact with about making the speed rings.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Rotec Hatz buffs!

We received a new inquiry for a Rotec speedring (also from USA) and I thought, I might spread this theme:

Just to let you know, that there still is an opportunity for manufacturing Speedrings with mounting hardware for attachment to special rocker covers (these could also be made available).
The goal is to catch at least 6 orders for a production run for the rings. The earlier given price of about $ 1800.00 is meant for a fine grid sandpaper finished (ready for polyshing and ready to mount including mounting hardware except the special 4 rocker covers needed.
Of course, it would also be possible to supply just the raw spun speedrings without fine sanding and some of the mounting hardware for less money. In this case the builder has to attach the mounting hardware himself. That price has yet to be determined if anybody is interested.

How many prospective builders would be interested in that Aeroplaneworks speedring?

Looking forward to any replies....

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
ssearle

Post by ssearle »

[quote="johnkerr"]Doug, could you post some information on the Waco mounting method? Per Ed's comment and the decision chain Hans & Sam have followed it appears that mounting is a larger issue than obtaining the "ring".
So far, all I've come up with is spiderweb of braces attached to the motor mount.

Hi John and Ed
Here are some pictures of mountings for Waco engines - both cowl styles with 300 hp Jacobs engine.
I have one more picture to come.
Read the picture comments for details of what each picture shows.
Hope this helps!
Steve SN162
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssearle

Post by ssearle »

Last picture of the speed ring mounting :D
Note that nothing holds the ring on except pressure against the engine rocker covers.
Steve
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Thank you for the pics.
If I understand correctly there is nothing but the bumps holding the bump cowl in place?
That sure would make it easy.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"