Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Re: Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

Post by mmarien »

I've been watching this thread closely. I'm not anywhere near thinking about ordering parts for the cowling. But the pictures go a long ways to solve connecting the cowling to the airplane. Looks like in either case, bump cowling or speed ring, they are both held in place by squeezing them tight to the engine valve covers. No framework required. Thanks for the pictures Steve.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
scsmith

Post by scsmith »

This thread seems to have died out. Does anyone know how to contact Dick Hartzler? Is he still making spun aluminum cowls. I want to use it for the boot cowl (behind the engine) just as Ed White did.

Did anything come of the effort to do a group buy for speed rings? Does anyone have a source, or care to make one?

Steve.

--About to pick up a partially completed Hatz Classic from Nicholas Boughen in B.C. I don't know the serial number yet. I've built and fly an RV-8.
Steve Smith
retired Aeronautical Engineer
Building a Hatz Classic s/n 054. Carrying on for original build starter Nicholas Boughen

RV-8, N825RV w/ IO-360-A1A finished Sept 2009 750 hrs
LS-6 15m sailplane
C-182B (towplane)
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

I ended up buying the fiberglass bump cowling from Rotec. I think I'm going to do the boot cowling in fiberglass. It's been my goto material lately.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada