Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Bitshifter

Re: Speedring Cowl for a Rotec - Possible Group Order?

Post by Bitshifter »

John,
I am considering a composite bump cowl and I am stuck trying to come up with a way to mount it. I can see why so many just leave it exposed.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Rotec Hatz friends,
I would like to mention, that we still would be willing to run a production lot of 6 speedrings for a collect order.
We now have enough confidence that our methode of mounting the ring is save and perfect.It also can removed an remounted within a few minutes.
We have pulished the cost for the ring and it's monting hardware as well and if thre is an interest, we could quote also the 4 special rocker covers, which ensure a save fit.
This just in case you don't find a supplier in US.
Kind regards
Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Hans & Sam, would you consider supplying mounting hardware and Rocker cover separately, without the ring?

I don't remember seeing how you are mounting the ring since you moved from the lubrication fitting. Do you have pictures, or a site to look at?

John Kerr
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Doug, could you post some information on the Waco mounting method? Per Ed's comment and the decision chain Hans & Sam have followed it appears that mounting is a larger issue than obtaining the "ring".

So far, all I've come up with is spiderweb of braces attached to the motor mount.

John
Vintagehatz

Post by Vintagehatz »

Hi all,
We have adapdet the way of mounting the Speedring basically from the Waco QCF's attachment. Our speedring is fiexd to the engine by 4 rocker covers.
Due to that, the speedring is somehow flexible between those attaching point's and diameter changes due to heat/cold condition of motor and speedring
could be regulated.
The speedring have 4 aluminum plate molds, where the 4 rubber hoses fits in.

Sam & Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintagehatz

Post by Vintagehatz »

special rocker covers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintagehatz

Post by Vintagehatz »

front view speedring
Vintagehatz

Post by Vintagehatz »

Polished speedring
Vintagehatz

Post by Vintagehatz »

speedring, formed attaching plate
HC85

Post by HC85 »

quote="Bitshifter"]John,
I am considering a composite bump cowl and I am stuck trying to come up with a way to mount it. I can see why so many just leave it exposed.[/quote]

I am no where near doing the cowl, but have been thinking about making a NACA type or "sorta" like a YMF or UMF Waco one for a LONG time now.....

What I was thinking of doing for a mounting system was to make a "mount ring" coming off of the nose bowl or gear box cover behind the prop, using some of ( or all of) it's mount bolt locations at the base , and "spoke out" or "spider" out from the base with mounting brackets to hold a cam lock fastener, (or whatever fastener a person would like)....at the end of the "spokes"..., or perhaps make some mount clamps to come off of the collector ring, or a combination of both types. ( SO front and rear would be supported)
I have also seen where the Rotec Kitfox comes off of the oil drain hoses between the rocker boxes with an Adel clamp in several places to mount there's....I'm not too fond of this method of mounting, but if the Rotec guys are doing it........?

Just some thoughts.

Rick