Moving My Fuselage Out of the Basement Workshop

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Moving My Fuselage Out of the Basement Workshop

Post by Ebby »

I'm pretty pumped at this stage of the build. All major components are fabricated covered and painted. My next step is to move the fuselage into the garage for firewall forward. As we have rough winters in the NY snow belt I need to keep the project and vehicles in the garage. I have temporary gear on for the move and plan on installing the permanent gear as soon as it's in the garage. For planning purposes, what is the standard wheelbase on the Classic?
image.jpeg
As always, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
dougm

Re: Moving My Fuselage Out of the Basement Workshop

Post by dougm »

Great to hear of the progress! Keep it up. I need to post some updates on mine as well.

As for the wheelbase question, I checked the plans and took some measurements and I think you'd wind up around 182" from the front of the main tires to the back of the t/w tire. A finished Classic fuselage is 177.25. The mains are 23.00 aft of station 0.00 so that's 154.25 from the center line of the mains to the tail. Add about 19" for the tailspring and tailwheel and about 9" for the radius of the main gear (forward of the plans centerline) and you end up at 182.25.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Ebby

Re: Moving My Fuselage Out of the Basement Workshop

Post by Ebby »

Doug

Painting really slowed me down this summer. Thought I'd be assembling this fall. Oh well. Thanks for the data.

Ebby
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!