HC#164 pictures

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Woha

HC#164 pictures

Post by Woha »

Hello everyone! I'm not the biggest fan of Facebook, but decided to post few pictures of my Hatz there. Maybe can inspire someone...
Enjoy! :D
Wojtek [Voytech]
HC#164, Poland
https://www.facebook.com/WhiteRedHatz/
stearmoth

Re: HC#164 pictures

Post by stearmoth »

Dear Wojtek,

Very nice, you make great progress! The kind of fuselage blend to the Rotec looks also nice and it's a much easier to achieve approach as we did with our Stearman/Waco QCF W670 look alike. Of course we have the advantage of nice hot air for both the carb and the cockpits, but this shroud build has been a challenge!
To bad, there wasn't much interest from other Rotec users (both R3600 and R2800) for speedrings and shrouds as then we would have undertaken the production of such parts....

We are looking forward the completion of your Hatz --- the joyce of RAL 1015 (Ivory) is perfect! May be you consider more for a Waco red that the RAL 3020? -- Just an idea ..

Kind regards
Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
Woha

Post by Woha »

Thanks guys!
My main goal designing the cowlings (as you know I have a manufacturer; I build just small details) was simplicity in the look and production. I'm pretty happy with the results. I love your aircraft: I think it is piece of art in every detail. Great inspiration for all of us.
What red colour are you talking about? It's very interesting.
Regards,
Wojtek
HC#164, Poland
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Classic 1930's Colors for your Hatz Classic

Dear Wojtek,

There is nothing wrong with your color choice! I checked the RAL 3020 with the chart and that looks just fine! My personal choice would be more RAL 3000, which is close to Vermillion red, which was a 1930's Waco red color. Watch for the Mehlin Hatz (Warner Hatz), which has period colours, although the wings are more a Tucson cream than Ivory (RAL 1015).
I was a bit choked about the colors displayed ob facebook, however I have seen that the yellow color is RAL 1015, which is just fine. Good luck with your project!

Kind regards
Woha

Post by Woha »

Hi,
Thanks for your post and suggestions. I really appreciate it. To be honest I wanted my Hatz to be painted like Mehlin's one. It looks great and has this "vintage" effect. Additionally, white and red are polish national flag colours... The problem is, I've never seen this plane (or any red Waco) in real. Every picture you can see, the red looks different. On some it looks like Ral3000 (flame red), on the others: Ral3020 (traffic red) which is lighter. It depends of course on your screen, picture quality, etc. etc... Difficult choice... I have to make more samples.
Cheers,
Wojtek
HC#164, Poland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dougm

Post by dougm »

I spent some time with Bill Rusk at his hangar when he owned Mehlin's hatz. I'm not sure of the exact colors, but I can tell you that the wings are not white, they are a cream color. I took a bunch of photos for reference for my Hatz project, maybe these will help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dougm on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
dougm

Post by dougm »

a few more
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
Woha

Post by Woha »

Thank you guys for your help!
I decided to use RAL 3000 (darker one). I hope I can show you the results soon.
All the best,
Wojtek
HC#164, Poland
dougm

Post by dougm »

Sorry the pictures were so huge. If you download them you can view them easier and zoom out. Hope they help.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Wojtek,

If you want to match Mehlin's Hatz red and cream color, that's just great! The cream on the Warner Hatz is more like a Tucson cream that the ivory (RAL 1015), howver both colors are true 1930's choice!
If you like and give me your home address I can send you a color chart from Polyfiber. You are right, it is difficult to decide on colors from photos.

We are eager to see the final results!

Kind regards

P.S. Attached are two pictures from our visit to the Hahnweide last weekend.