HC#164 pictures

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Woha

Re: HC#164 pictures

Post by Woha »

Doug, Hans and all other Hatzers; finally I can present my red colour. I think the result is better than I expected. Thank you guys again for your help and good tips. More pics on my FB (White Red Hatz). I start thinking about first flight... but winter is coming...
Wojtek,
HC#164, Poland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Wojtek,

Very, very nice! You seem to come to completion and first flight. As far as computer colors are true - it looks like you machted the 1930's colors perfectly!
You have the nicest pair of wheels I have seen for a long time (apart from the Bendix type wheels we have, of course....)! Please give us a hint about the brand and size.
The wheels are perfectly matching - you don't pack them into pants, don't you?
We are eager to learn about the performance figures as you have a different prop than we have! Is your Hatz shown here in a complete status, including avionics and oil in the tank? What is the empty weight (ready to fly without gas)?

We wish you all the best for the first flight and hope to meet you and your Hatz in the not to far future! Would like to get made some formation close-ups then. Your Hatz, we guess, will be the second Classic with a Rotec radial to fly in Europe!

Kind regards
Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
HC85

Post by HC85 »

WOW!!!!

Very nice! Congratulations on your aircraft! She is lovely!

Rick
HC85
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

Very nice. I'll be watching for more pictures.
John Hanson HC-012.
ssearle

Post by ssearle »

Very Very nice work Wojo. You have made fantastic progress. Congratulations.
Regards Steve Re Hatz #162
Woha

Post by Woha »

Thank you guys!
The wheels will be exposed. I adopted them from the Yakovlev-12. Size 600x180mm. Pretty heavy... The brakes though are super light: the Beringer. Here you have some pictures with the wing-body fairings.
I will post my W&B data soon.
All the best,
Wojo (I like it :lol: )
Hatz#164, Poland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woha

Post by Woha »

Hello all,
Last Friday I made my first R3600 engine startup! Wow! Fantastic engine. It was a bit windy that day and I was too stupid to switch on the wind noise cancelling mode in my camera... Anyway: enjoy the video :)
https://youtu.be/llxce4h_eLc
Wojo
HC#164, Poland
dougm

Post by dougm »

Great work, Wojo! Great to see another Rotec Hatz out there!

I see you have fillets for the wing root. I'm really interested to hear what you see for cruise & max speeds with those installed. Mark Lightsey installed those on his CB-1 and said they were good for at least a 5 mph increase in speed. There an older article from Kitplanes magazine that discusses just how much drag is created by that particular joint and how one can gain some speed simply by doing what you did. Let us know what you get for speed once you start flight testing.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Woha wrote:Hello all,
Last Friday I made my first R3600 engine startup! Wow! Fantastic engine. It was a bit windy that day and I was too stupid to switch on the wind noise cancelling mode in my camera... Anyway: enjoy the video :)
https://youtu.be/llxce4h_eLc
Wojo
HC#164, Poland

Sweet! Congrats! ( Love that blue smoke!)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your plane in videos!
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Wojo,

Great !!!! I recall the sound of our first start up! You feel cold on your back...
Your Hatz looks great, tall on that gear with beautiful wheels! Congratulation!
Concerning cruise and top level speed we are eager to have a chance making some formation comparison flights hopefully in the near future at a fly-in!
By the way, have you already checked your plan's empty weight?
It surprises me that the wing/fuse fillet makes that a speed advantage! Is this because the round shape or because the pressure cannot release or is it both? The speedring also makes a few mph..

Keep posting and we are eager to see first flight movies...

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland