Hole sizes for water jetting parts

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Hole sizes for water jetting parts

Post by mmarien »

I was going through the plans for all the metal parts. I'm going have them cut with water jet. I noticed the note on the "06 Spar Fittings" drawing the indicates that the holes are drilled undersized and reamed to 5/16". The holes for the AN3 bolts are shown as 0.187 so they are drilled to size. But because the water jetting isn't all that accurate I was going to cut the holes smaller and then just drill (or ream) them to size.

Reading through the form, quite a few builders have had the parts cut with water jet but I didn't find any mention of what size they had the holes cut. Any suggestions on what size should be used for water jet cutting for the 3/16" bolt holes?

As an aside the "COMPRESSION-TUBES.dwg" from the web has an error in the TB-4 part. The holes should have 1.5" between them. The one hole is drawn 1.813" from the other one. It is right at the bend.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
dougm

Re: Hole sizes for water jetting parts

Post by dougm »

The holes on most of the CAD parts are 1/16". This was for two reasons as I understand it. 1. allow for accurate finishing to final diameter, 2. save a little $$$ re: machine time. Takes time to cut all those holes.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
mmarien

Re: Hole sizes for water jetting parts

Post by mmarien »

Thanks. Makes sense.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada