Compression tube lengths

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Compression tube lengths

Post by mmarien »

I reconciled all the compression tube lengths except for #1 top wing. I get 25.0 (edge to edge) - 0.75 (spar thickness) - 2 x 0.125 (doubler plate both sides) - 2 x 0.090 (FSTW2 and RSTW2) = 23.82". Plan shows 23.805 (0.015 diff). There is no mention in the discrepancies. Am I missing something? Not that it makes a lot of difference.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Bitshifter

Re: Compression tube lengths

Post by Bitshifter »

I made mine to fit the available space since the T-88 on the doublers and the coating on the fittings added up to something. I also didn't start out at exactly 25" on center since I used my plans as a template for the ribs and they weren't 25".
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
mmarien

Re: Compression tube lengths

Post by mmarien »

I agree there. I just finished my center section. For the life of me I couldn't make the diagonals work with calculated numbers. I'm starting to understand tolerances. Hopefully my plane doesn't fly sideways.

I was thinking I missed something in the calculations as the drag/antidrag wires between the top wing compression tube one and two are different from the rest. I came up with 39.95" pin to pin and 39.55" (on average) pin to pin for the rest. I think I'll order them as different sizes for the four although 0.4" is probably adjustable in the threads.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada