Varnishing the wing

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Varnishing the wing

Post by mmarien »

The forum got a little slow so I though I would post a question. I'm working on the second wing and thinking about varnishing them. I will probably use System 3 Clear Coat. I used it on the center section. I clear coated all the ribs as I made them. I left the spar holes and front edge unvarnished as they needed to be glued.

So the question, did anyone remove the fittings before the varnished the wings? I varnished under the fittings but was thinking they will look nicer if they are not splashed with clear coat. Not that anyone will see them under the fabric.

By the way, Happy fourth of July. We celebrated Canada's 150th here on Saturday.
Last edited by mmarien on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Bitshifter

Re: Vanishing the wing

Post by Bitshifter »

I used clear coat on all the areas that fabric glue would contact. I also did the spars and the areas under the compression struts and wing fittings, this was mostly to control rot. I used spar varnish on the ribs. I brushed everything on.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Hi Murray, I did not remove the fittings. I used Stits epoxy spar varnish for the majority of the wings, and also applied two coats under the fittings prior to installing them for the final time. The Stits stuff "wicks" well into the wood, I used the system 3 clear coat on the ribs after constructing them, paying close attention not to coat the areas that would be glued later. I think either product works well. I didn't worry too much about getting the spar varnish on the flat fittings, I just tried to be as neat as possible. I didn't think it would hurt to seal the edges of the fittings either if I happened to bump up against them when I varnished.

Rick
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Thanks guys. I was looking over the wing the other days and it looked like a lot of work to remove the fittings just to do a cleaner varnish job. Perhaps a little patience is all that is needed. I'll probably have to use clear coat for everything as I don't think I can get spar varnish in Canada.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
orchardair

Re: Varnishing the wing

Post by orchardair »

Just fixing the spelling on the Subject line for easier future searching.
Thanks for the post!
Hatz Classic plans# 136
mmarien

Re: Varnishing the wing

Post by mmarien »

Done :D
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada