Wheel recommendation?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Wheel recommendation?

Post by orchardair »

The Hatz Classic plans only vaguely specify Cleveland brakes, but no specific make for wheels.
I was looking at Matco wheels and brakes, for their lower cost, and was wondering if anyone has had success with this model?
http://www.matcomfg.com/WHLW600S6006150 ... 912-4.html
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Re: Wheel recommendation?

Post by HC85 »

Hi Jeff, I briefly looked at the Matco stuff too and decided to go with a Grove 6" wheel and brake kit......that is until an aircraft on the field where I am at suddenly became a donor aircraft, by running into a light post and propane tank.....by no fault of it's own. It's un-qualified pilot forgot how to work the throttle and where the brake pedals were. Now, I will have the Cleveland's.

The internal caliper design of the Matco was worrying me....didn't know how the set up would shake out on the plane. But, I worry about everything.
( lack of imagination I guess) Sorry no help there.

Best of luck!

Rick
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

I checked through the forum but couldn't find anything about the difference between the length of the axle (4.5") and the bearing spacing shown on the Grove drawings for 6.00 x 6 wheels. They show 3.25" spacing. I have a set of used Cleveland wheels that match the Grove dimensions. Problem is that the axle 4.5" - 3.25" = 1.25". The threads on the axle are only 1.0" so there is a 1/4" gap. How did you guys handle this? with a spacer?

Also the ACS axle (part# 11704-1) which looks like axle on the Hatz plans has a slot in the end rather than a hole for the cotter pin. How does that work?
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I made a spacer and the slot will take a long cotter pin to go through both sides.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Thanks Jeff. The spacer would solve the problem and allow for a change of wheel size/type. I have another set of wheels that have a 3.75" spacing for the bearings that would fit the 4.5" long axle. I'm thinking a regular castle nut won't work though as there is nothing to hold the cotter pin. I did find this on ACS (part# 11726). The hole is in the nut instead of the axle.
11726a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

That's the axle nut that I am using. I am installing it with un-threaded end against the wheel so that I don't need a spacer.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

That clinches it. I'll order that nut.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Another Hatz forum success! The forum is worth its weight in gold!
ssearle

Post by ssearle »

Hi Murry
My wheel setup are Grove 6x6 hubs/dual piston calipers, 1-1/2 weld-on axles,grove wheel pant axle nuts(06-01678 acs) all bought from aircraft spruce.
Hope this is some use. I also made 1/8in thick spacers for nut clearance/wheel hub.
Steve(HC0162)
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Now there's a good idea if the plane has wheel pants. I was thinking I would have to weld something onto the wheel nut.
06-016782013.jpg
Did you get much flying in last summer with the new Hatz Steve?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada