Wing walk supports

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Wing walk supports

Post by mmarien »

I was looking through the forum and a couple of sites looking for what people did for the wing walk supports. The plans show an extra support just in front of the rear spar but only one support aft the rear spar. It seems to me that this would be where the most traffic would be. I did find one picture on the Makelan CD that showed two supports for the wing walk aft of the rear spar. Any comments on what builders did here? And if they built according to the the plan how is the wing walk hold up?
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
JBMoore

Re: Wing walk supports

Post by JBMoore »

I didn't follow the plans completely.
In the area from the rear spar to the trailing edge, I too felt, would take the most abuse.
I built both of the ribs, in that area, as a truss with 1/16" ply on one side and 1/4" ply on the sides inside the space, not solid. Why? I wanted the strength and already had the truss ribs built.
I put the square wood pieces across the span in the area between the spars.
In the area behind the rear spar, I cut a triangle piece of 1/4" ply that would go from the spar to the TE matching the curve of the upper surface. I reinforced each side of the triangle with square pieces of wood on both sides. I placed it in the center of the space and glued it to the spar.
I ran a piece of 1/4" ply from the front spar all of the way to the TE at the same level and shape as the top of the ribs so it would be smooth.(which means the 1/4" ply mentioned above had to be set below the surface) I glued it to anything and everything along the way. On the bottom, at the TE, I cut some wedge fillers to fit between the ribs and center support. I cut a gusset to tie all of that together. I feathered all of the ply at the TE so it would match the metal TE.
As far as the wear tread on top, I cut a piece of aluminum and covered it with Randolph's wing walk "paint". I put several nut plates in the 1/4" ply and attached it with screws.
I have had no problems.
If I find some pictures, I post them.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mmarien

Re: Wing walk supports

Post by mmarien »

Thanks Jeff. Pictures would be great if you have them. An aluminum wing walk sounds interesting. Something like the heel wear plates on wood floor boards.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada