ADSB

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.

ADSB

Postby Bitshifter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Its getting close to 2020 and this is probably not going to go away.
Is anybody thinking about ADSB for their Hatz and if so what system?
It seems like most of the lower cost systems assume that the aircraft already has a transponder and an encoding altimeter so they work with that.
Is there a system, other than a glass panel, that comes with everything to satisfy ADSB out? Is anybody using ADSB yet in their Hatz or other aircraft that can give suggestions?

Thanks
Ed White
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
User avatar
Bitshifter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: Avondale Pa

Re: ADSB

Postby dougm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm part of the maintenance committee for my flying club and we have been looking at this for quite a while. One option that looks interesting is Garmin's new GDL-82. This claims it can be dropped into an existing transponder setup to satisfy the ADS-B out requirements without forcing you to upgrade to a new transponder and buy and GPS receiver, etc.etc. Don't know much about it, but I expect to see more options like this as the time gets closer. This is the direction we are hoping to go...

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviat ... -aircraft/
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
User avatar
dougm
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm
Location: Douglas, MA

Re: ADSB

Postby painless » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm

One thing you might want to figure in the mix regarding a transponder is to go with a used Garmin GTX 327. I'm upgrading my RV6A panel, and I'm replacing my old Narco AT150 with one that I got on Ebay for $400.00. Perfectly good unit pulled for an adsb/transponder variant. I'm pairing that with Grand Rapids Technologie's Uavionix UAT/Safefly GPS for in/out adsb, all which will talk with a Sport SX EFIS. In your case you would need an encoder tho.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
http://websites.expercraft.com/painless
painless
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: ADSB

Postby mmarien » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm based in Canada but have been following ADS-B as I fly in the USA occasionally. My brother flies out of Georgia. We meet once in a while and fly places etc.

From what I understand, (2020) ADS-B out is only required in Mode C zones. When you look at it, that is only about 5% of the continental US. That means that I can fly in the other 95% without requiring ADS-B or xponder for that matter. I fly to Georgia (CYXE to KGVL) and have no problem avoiding Mode C (ADS-B) areas. That is a long way to fly without crossing a Mode C control zone. Unless you're flying out of a bigger airport (or into one) at best all you need is a radio.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
mmarien
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

Re: ADSB

Postby dougm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:32 am

There's a bit more to it...
Without ADS-B out, you cannot fly in the following airspace:
- Class B & C
- Above, but within the lateral boundaries of Class B & C to 10,000 MSL (no overflights)
- Class E above 10,000 MSL excluding the air space at or below 2,500 of the surface (might be an issue for folks near the rockies)
- Class E above 3,000 MSL over the Gulf of Mexico out to 12 miles.

You're right, it may not be an issue for you. It depends on where you fly and how much of an inconvenience it'll be if you don't have it. Solutions are becoming cheaper so I don't see why one wouldn't do it. In your case, maybe not.

For me, I live in one of the most congested airspaces in the country. It would be very difficult to enjoy flying around here without ADS-B.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
User avatar
dougm
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm
Location: Douglas, MA

Re: ADSB

Postby mmarien » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I was generalizing but when you add up all the airspaces you mentioned it is about 5% of the USA. If it's a safety thing by all means. I installed a G3X with full ADS-B in and out in my brothers GlaStar (KGVL) a couple of years ago.

ADS-B is not mandated in Canada but NAV CANADA is working with the rest of the world to produce a satellite based world wide ADS-B system using the 1090 frequency. https://aireon.com/partners/ Something to keep in mind when looking for ADS-B equipment and you want to fly your Hatz out of the USA. Adding a UAT ADS-B to a mode C xponder only works in the USA. If you're adding ADS-B to a system with a mode C transponder then the GDL 82 is an inexpensive way to become 2020 compliant (in the USA). If it's a new install (xponder plus ADS-B) then a GTX 335 is probably a better solution. It gives you everything except ADS-B in. You can get that with that $200 ForeFlight thing you stick to the wind screen if you want ADS-B in.

I fly out of a mode C airspace (CYXE) but so do lots of non xponder Tiger Moths, Cubs, a Jodel, a couple Fly Baby's etc. I'm up in the air about installing a xponder in my Hatz. ;)
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
mmarien
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

Re: ADSB

Postby wildhorsesracing » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 am

mmarien wrote:From what I understand, (2020) ADS-B out is only required in Mode C zones. When you look at it, that is only about 5% of the continental US. That means that I can fly in the other 95% without requiring ADS-B or xponder for that matter. I fly to Georgia (CYXE to KGVL) and have no problem avoiding Mode C (ADS-B) areas. That is a long way to fly without crossing a Mode C control zone. Unless you're flying out of a bigger airport (or into one) at best all you need is a radio.


He is correct, I live just outside the Class B in Charlotte and had planned fly around it and/or to wait until 2021 when the solutions will be plentiful and less expensive, especially for experimental aircraft like our Hatz. I have to do that now anyway since my Hatz doesn't have a TX.

I can't seem to find the map that the FAA folks brought to one of our local EAA meetings to explain ADSB, but the areas where it was required were minuscule compared to the rest of the USA.
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
wildhorsesracing
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 pm


Return to Building and Maintaining the Hatz Classic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest