wing fitting doublers

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Mark K

wing fitting doublers

Post by Mark K »

I'm in the process of making all my wing fittings and have a question in regards to the overlaid doublers that needs to be wielded to the outside of some fittings. It appears to me that every place there is to be a flying wire there is a doubler? So there is a total of 12 small overlaid doublers? One on the outside of FSTW3-FSTW3A-RSTW3-RSTW3A this one shown on the plan and a slightly different shaped one on FSBW2-FSBW2A? FSBW2A doesn't show one but it looks like there should be one at each flying wire. FSBW1 is doubled entirely. I'm waiting on spars and plywood so for now I'm making all my wing related metal parts.
Mark K
mmarien

Re: wing fitting doublers

Post by mmarien »

There is a doubler for RSTW3 and RSTW3A and FSBW1 is doubled as shown on the plans. The note "Flying/landing Wires (Doubled)) means the wires are doubled. The connection from FSBW1 to RSTW3 is two flying wires. The landing wire connection from FSBW2 is to both FSTW1 and RSTW1. See Steve's pictures: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=715 or Hans and Sam's here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=449&start=30. The Makelan CD doesn't show the wires all that well.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

mmarien,
Thanks so much for the reply. Now looking at it again with your explanation it makes sense. Having this forum is a real help. I owe you a Huge Thanks for the CAD files I was able to get all the files water jet cut out of the required gage 4130 for a great price from a local shop. For now I'm drilling ,reaming, and welding up all the fittings. Thanks Again.
Mark K
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Hey - no problem. You're right, the forum is a great place to get answers. Especially when starting on something new. I've gone though the Hatz Classic forum completely a couple of times now.

I also want to thank you. I freaked when you asked the question as I have all of my spar fittings complete. I thought I had missed something. It took a couple of hours of research but I reconciled the drawings with pictures of completed projects. It was a good exercise as I hadn't thought too much beyond putting the wings together.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada